MDN weekly work update

Chris Mills

May 24, 2017, 4:18:48 AM5/24/17
to MDC Mailinglist
Hi there,

I’ve decided to resurrect our weekly progress mail, where we talk about the things we’ve been working on. As part of this, I’d also like to invite people to share anything they'd like help with, so others can see places on MDN where they can get involved and contribute.

This is not just for MDN staff either — volunteers can feel free to respond with their own items!

Chris’s work last week
----------------------

1. Developed procedure for dealing with "secure context features" (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Secure_Contexts).

You can add to the list of secure context-only features here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Secure_Contexts/features_restricted_to_secure_contexts

I’ve also created some macros to generate banners and inline indicators allowing us to mark secure context-only features. These will be available as soon as they’ve been merged into the main kumascript repo.

2. Updates to Selection API (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Selection_API)

The spec has had some minor updates, so I’ve documented them (changes to some parameters of collapse() and extend(), addition of empty(), setPosition(), and deleteFromDocument())

3. Service workers updated to use standard MessageEvent for messages instead of the ServiceWorkerMessageEvent

The MessageEvent docs were mostly missing, so I documented it thoroughly (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/MessageEvent). This is really nice to have done, as all modern messaging technologies (channel messaging, server-sent events, web sockets, etc.) use it.

4. documented <script nomodule> (see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/script)

This rather useful little attribute helps pave the way for ES module support in browsers, essentially allowing you to specify a fallback script that will not be loaded by browser that do support modules, but will be loaded by browsers that don’t!

Things to help with
-------------------

After a break to get a whole load of catchup work done with docs updates, I’m hopefully moving back to getting more work done on HTML <input> types. You can see what work sheppy and I have done already at:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input#Form_%3Cinput%3E_types

Many of the items near the bottom of the list have not been done yet, as you can see by the red links! If you fancy contributing to any of these pages, please let me know.

What’s next
-----------

I am going to be spending the next week or so updating the WebVR docs (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebVR_API) to WebVR 1.1. Again, let me know if you want to contribute in any way! Proofreading would be appreciated once I’ve done the work for sure.

Best regards,

Chris Mills
MDN content lead || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Chris Mills

May 25, 2017, 3:55:03 AM5/25/17
to Julien Sphinx, MDC Mailinglist
Awesome, nice work Julien!

I particularly love the rapid response spam killing - you are quicker than me most of the time ;-)