Changes to Android L10n on Pontoon, and removing Firefox Reality

Delphine L

Mar 17, 2021, 5:38:11 PM3/17/21
to dev-l10n
tldr;

We are replacing the Android L10n project in Pontoon with separate projects
for each Android product, as well as removing Firefox Reality.

This will happen Friday, March 19th, between 1600 and 1900 UTC. Sync will
be disabled during that time.

Hello localizers,

As many of you have already expressed, the current Android L10n project
<https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/android-l10n/> on Pontoon is far from
optimal in terms of localizing the products it contains - for multiple
reasons. Notifications, deadlines and project info are confusing, as they
do not pertain to a single product. Teams cannot request specific products
to work on. And finally, you need to navigate to the tags section
<https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/android-l10n/tags/> to find products,
which differs from other projects on Pontoon, which appear on the team page.

All in all, it’s complicated as a localizer to know where to put your
efforts in order to localize all the needed strings for a given Android
product.

Because of this, the l10n-drivers team has found a workaround that will
hopefully improve your experience localizing Android products, which
includes all products that share strings with Android Components - see this
past post <https://groups.google.com/u/0/g/mozilla.dev.l10n/c/uh-Q4ypOklk>
for more information about that.

Each Android product (currently represented by a tag within the Android
L10n project) will become a separate Pontoon project and thus appear on
your team page. The Android L10n project will get disabled, but
translations along with attributions will be kept and migrated to new
projects.

Fenix (Firefox for Android) will also contain all Android Components
strings, since it is our highest priority Android project on Pontoon. To
avoid any duplicate work, Lockwise (and any other Android project we’ll add
in the future) will not have Android Components strings included, despite
needing them to be fully localized.

Firefox Reality will be removed as the project will sunset by the end of
the year, and no localization work should be required until then. We will
not be creating a project for it.

As usual, we thank you for all the hard work and dedication you put into
localization at Mozilla. We hope this change will be an improvement to the
current conditions.

thanks

Delphine L

Mar 18, 2021, 6:25:53 PM3/18/21
to dev-l10n
Hello localizers,

Just a friendly reminder that this is going to happen tomorrow, Friday,
March 19th, between 1600 and 1900 UTC.
Thank you for your patience and understanding!

cheers

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 2:37 PM Delphine L <lebedel....@gmail.com>
wrote:
--
Delphine

Delphine L

Mar 19, 2021, 2:46:18 PM3/19/21
to dev-l10n
Hello localizers,

The migration is now done!

You can now access all your projects from the main projects page[1] in
Pontoon.
Here are the new direct links:
* Firefox for Android:
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-android/
* Lockwise for Android:
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/lockwise-for-android/

Once again, we hope this will help simplify things going forward.

Thanks all! Have a good weekend

[1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 3:25 PM Delphine L <lebedel....@gmail.com>
--