Beta code freeze two weeks out, updates and translate toolkit watch-out

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Axel Hecht

unread,
Aug 27, 2008, 9:00:16 AM8/27/08
to
Hi all,

as discussed in last night's Firefox meeting, the code freeze for B1 is
two weeks out.

Benjamin Smedberg volunteered to get us (unsupported) continuously
running builds for all three platforms. I'm hoping to fix the random
bustages on l10n.m.o (no idea why those happen, got to work around that).

We called out in the meeting that B1 l10n isn't in good shape, and that
the l10n builds are a long pole.

Nevertheless, please start taking a stab at your localization on
l10n-central. I know that there is a good deal more manual work
involved, independent of which tools you use.

For example I just reiterated on #l10n that the old cvs way of updating
the en-US tree for the translate-toolkit templates via l10n.py is
busted. Badly enough, it fails silently, it just doesn't update a single
of your en-US files. The translate toolkit guys know. For now, manually
copy over the en-US directories, I guess.

Axel

Alexandru Szasz

unread,
Aug 27, 2008, 9:12:18 AM8/27/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
For what it's worth, here's the script that Narro uses to create the
en-US directory:

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf $1
mkdir -m 777 $1
ln -s $2/browser/locales/en-US $1/browser
ln -s $2/dom/locales/en-US $1/dom
ln -s $2/toolkit/locales/en-US $1/toolkit
ln -s $2/netwerk/locales/en-US $1/netwerk
mkdir -p -m 777 $1/extensions
ln -s $2/extensions/reporter/locales/en-US $1/extensions/reporter
mkdir -p -m 777 $1/other-licenses/branding
ln -s $2/other-licenses/branding/firefox/locales/en-US
$1/other-licenses/branding/firefox
mkdir -p -m 777 $1/security
ln -s $2/security/manager/locales/en-US $1/security/manager

And the script is run like this:

sh create-firefox-en-US /home/alexxed/narro/data/import/13/en-US
/home/alexxed/mozilla_projects/firefox/mozilla-central

As you can see I'm creating symlinks, so if you update
mozilla-central, the en-US dir will be up to date.

--
Alexandru Szasz

Fryske Firefox

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 9:43:52 AM8/28/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Axel,
What is the best or simplest way to view changes in the en-US strings?
Previously, I would do a CVS update on en-US and checked out the updated
files for differencies.
Preferably I would like it from a Windows point of view, so no
commandline tools, python scripts or whatever.
Thanks to Francesco's excellent reference on
http://www.pseudotecnico.org/mozilla/man/mercurial_l10n_windows.html
I have been able to get Mercurial HGrunning within an hour.

I am curious on how other localizers are dealing with the update mechanism.

Kind regards,
--
Wim
fryske...@gmail.com
www.mozilla-nl.org/ <http://www.mozilla-nl.org/projecten/frysk>
www.mozbrowser.nl <http://www.mozbrowser.nl/forum/viewforum.php?f=38>
www.fryskesoftware.nl <http://www.fryskesoftware.nl>

Philippe

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 10:18:52 AM8/28/08
to
Fryske Firefox a écrit :
[...]

> What is the best or simplest way to view changes in the en-US strings?
> Previously, I would do a CVS update on en-US and checked out the updated
> files for differencies.
> Preferably I would like it from a Windows point of view, so no
> commandline tools, python scripts or whatever.
> Thanks to Francesco's excellent reference on
> http://www.pseudotecnico.org/mozilla/man/mercurial_l10n_windows.html
> I have been able to get Mercurial HGrunning within an hour.
>
> I am curious on how other localizers are dealing with the update mechanism.

Hi.
You can use http://hg.frenchmozilla.fr to follow the en-US changes, it
is updated each 30'.
The details are in the post I made yesterday: "Mercurial repository for
l10n en-US files only from the frenchmozilla team"
news://news.mozilla.org:119/WvadnS66koWjUijV...@mozilla.org

Philippe

Axel Hecht

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 10:56:14 AM8/28/08
to

Subscribe to http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/index.cgi/pushlog
with your favorite RSS reader? If you see something that shows
"locales/en-US" in the files, click on the link, and you get to the hg
diff. That'll take you to a page like
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/index.cgi/rev/df933c713700, which
shows the complete change, or just a link to the affected l10n file,
i.e.,
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/index.cgi/diff/df933c713700/browser/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/preferences/applications.dtd

I'm not really sure what you want to get out, as I didn't understand
your description of your cvs-based process.

Axel

Francesco Lodolo

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 10:59:22 AM8/28/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
>
> I am curious on how other localizers are dealing with the update mechanism.


Right now I'm checking l10n-dashboard and the pull log: copy and paste
inside a text editor, search for lines with "en-US", ".dtd" or
".properties".

Obviously it's not the best method (slow and it doesn't catch all changes),
but I have still to find a better one (the French team's solution sounds
like a really good one, but I don't like the idea to manage another
repository).

Francesco

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 11:16:14 AM8/28/08
to
Axel Hecht escribió:

>
> Subscribe to http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/index.cgi/pushlog
> with your favorite RSS reader? If you see something that shows
> "locales/en-US" in the files, click on the link, and you get to the hg
> diff. That'll take you to a page like
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/index.cgi/rev/df933c713700, which
> shows the complete change, or just a link to the affected l10n file,
> i.e.,
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/index.cgi/diff/df933c713700/browser/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/preferences/applications.dtd
>
>
> I'm not really sure what you want to get out, as I didn't understand
> your description of your cvs-based process.


When you run cvs update or cvs checkout, you get a list like:

U /dir1/dir2/file.dtd
U /dir1/dir2/file.dtd
/dir1/dir2/file.dtd is no longer in the repository
.
.
.

Maybe he is asking for something similar.

Ricardo

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Axel Hecht

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 12:40:31 PM8/28/08
to

hg -v pull -u will list the file changes you're experiencing.

Axel

flod (Francesco Lodolo)

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 1:45:51 PM8/28/08
to Mozilla l10n
I'll try to explain: with CVS you can download only the folders you need
(for example mozilla/browser/locales/en-US/,
mozilla/toolkit/locales/en-US/, etc.), not the entire repository.

Good: when you update a folder, if something is changed (and downloaded)
you automatically know that there's a change in the en-US locale
Bad: you have to do a CVS update on each of these folders

Also TortoiseHg displays a log after the pull, so you can search that
log for files with "en-US" in the path.

Francesco

Philippe

unread,
Aug 28, 2008, 3:54:01 PM8/28/08
to
Francesco Lodolo a écrit :

You only have to use our repo, that's the idea behind this.

Philippe

flod (Francesco Lodolo)

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 1:29:31 AM8/29/08
to Mozilla l10n
Philippe ha scritto:

> You only have to use our repo, that's the idea behind this.
Sorry but that's not possible: I want to see the changelog of each file
when I need (a couple of clicks with TortoiseHg) and I don't think that
you're able to provide me this information ;-)

Francesco

Fryske Firefox

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 3:16:24 AM8/29/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Axel Hecht schreef:
Sorry, my description wasn't complete.
First I would check out
http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=Mozilla-l10n-fy-NL
to see if the builds failed. If it was orange or red, I would click on
the Full Log and found
out which files were changed/added/removed with which entities. Then I
would update the en-US version
on my system, where TortoiseCVS also gave me a list of updated files
(ini-files not
in the log included). After that I checked out the updated files for
changes and edited
them in my local and CVS commit. Of course this was for new versions only.
Maybe not the best way, but it worked. I've never used diff either
locally or on the web.

I checked out the mozilla-central pushlog RSS with Firefox and see lots
of Changeset xxxxxxxxx.
It's not clear right away if it contains changes on files, so I find it
pretty cumbersome to
find the changes for Firefox only. http://hg.frenchmozilla.fr/ is more
like it then,
although it lists also other apps like mail and suite. Maybe it's
possible to create
pages separately for Firefox, Thunderbird, Suite, Calendar, etc., where
common files
like in toolkit have to show up on all.

I believe someone suggested on the conference in Canada (is there going
to be one in Europe?)
to let the Mozilla system automatically add new entities to all locales.
That could be fine, but we'd need a good
notification system on that, because local changes could get overwritten
when you do a
CVS update or HG pull.

Well, I guess someone will come up with a nice solution where we all can
benefit.
Keep up the good work!

Fryske Firefox

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 3:42:06 AM8/29/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Francesco,
> If you localize only Firefox, l10n-dashboard is enough ;-)
> http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/
>
> Fine the row with fy-NL and fx31x and use the "C" link to find the
> result for the latest compare-locale
> http://l10n.mozilla.org/buildbot/compare/hg-langpack/458
>
> Francesco
That's the thing I was looking for, thanks!
Later on we will probably need Thunderbird and Calendar too.

Philippe

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 4:20:06 AM8/29/08
to
flod (Francesco Lodolo) a écrit :

I don't understant what you are lacking when you say changelog.
If it's the comments of the original commit, I think I've found how to
include them on the comment of the commit on hg.frenchmozilla.org.

If it's another thing, just ask and peharps I'll be able to include it :)

Ph

flod (Francesco Lodolo)

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 4:48:39 AM8/29/08
to Mozilla l10n

> If it's another thing, just ask and peharps I'll be able to include it :)
It's a GUI for hg log.

For example: hg log
mozilla-central/dom/locales/en-US/chrome/dom/dom.properties

Francesco

Philippe

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 5:06:00 AM8/29/08
to
flod (Francesco Lodolo) a écrit :
>

The only thing hg.frenchmozilla.fr is lacking is the comment of the
original commit and as said previously, I think I found a way to include it.

Ph

Axel Hecht

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 7:33:02 AM8/29/08
to

I'm happy to give thoughts on technical details here.

I poked #hg today about partial clones, too. Sadly that project failed
:-/. There's a reference to a mq repo in the bug tracker, though, with
partial code for partial clones. See
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/bts/issue105

Axel

Axel Hecht

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 8:32:09 AM8/29/08
to

http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/pushlog does list the files for
every commit that's pushed. Reading it as a livebookmarks is useless,
though, right.

I tried subscribing to that feed in bloglines and netvibes, bloglines
nicely hides the read entries, and you get the file list displayed,
which sounds easier than using the feed preview. Just tried sage, didn't
rock my boat either.

> I believe someone suggested on the conference in Canada (is there going
> to be one in Europe?)
> to let the Mozilla system automatically add new entities to all locales.
> That could be fine, but we'd need a good
> notification system on that, because local changes could get overwritten
> when you do a
> CVS update or HG pull.

The system to add entities is called l10n-merge, and it won't commit to
the repos, but just create temporary files as part of the build and use
those. Compare-locales will report the same data as it does without
l10n-merge, it's just that the builds won't break.

> Well, I guess someone will come up with a nice solution where we all can
> benefit.
> Keep up the good work!

Thanks

Axel

Дамјан Георгиевски

unread,
Aug 29, 2008, 12:12:53 PM8/29/08
to
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/pushlog does list the files for
> every commit that's pushed. Reading it as a livebookmarks is useless,
> though, right.
>
> I tried subscribing to that feed in bloglines and netvibes, bloglines
> nicely hides the read entries, and you get the file list displayed,
> which sounds easier than using the feed preview. Just tried sage, didn't
> rock my boat either.

maybe this rss can be filtered with Yahoo pipes so that only l10n stuff
appears

--
дамјан ( http://softver.org.mk/damjan/ )

Today we create the legacy of tomorrow ;).

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages