New project available for localization: Mozilla VPN Client

Francesco Lodolo

Feb 10, 2021, 1:49:25 AM2/10/21
to Mozilla l10n Mailing List
Hi localizers,

As some of you might have already noticed, there’s a new project available
for localization in Pontoon: Mozilla VPN Client.[1]

This is a bit of a special project, being the first paid product by
Mozilla, so there are a few things to note.

*Availability and locales*
Mozilla VPN is currently available only in English for users in US, Canada,
UK, New Zealand, Singapore, and Malaysia. We’re opening up the project for
localization, as we are planning to expand product availability to
additional countries later in the year, starting with France and Germany.
The project has been enabled for French and German, but *other locales can
opt-in* if they’d like to.

It’s important to note that there’s no guarantee if and when the app will
be available in other countries, as market and product considerations must
be taken into account to enable the best chance of success.

*Testing*
Testing the client is currently not possible. Engineering is working on a
solution that will allow localizers to test the main UI without having an
active subscription.

Feel free to ping me in the project if you have any questions or doubts.
All strings should be commented where necessary, and there shouldn’t be any
unclear content, since the app was translated in Italian during the
development phase.

*VPN Ecosystem*
The Mozilla VPN Client is only one part of the ecosystem around the VPN
product. Other content will be exposed as part of existing projects (
www.mozilla.org, Firefox Accounts for the subscription platform).

We will likely also have another project enabled later for vpn.mozilla.org,
which will continue to be used as the end-point for active subscriptions.
I’ll add more details as soon as I have them.

Francesco.

[1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/mozilla-vpn-client/

Francesco Lodolo

Feb 11, 2021, 1:15:09 PM2/11/21
to Mozilla l10n Mailing List
Update on the testing part: a web-app that simulates the client is
available here (it's also linked as a resource in the project's header in
Pontoon).
https://mozilla-mobile.github.io/mozilla-vpn-client/

On the left you can see the client, on the right the menus that would
appear in the operating system.

Known problems, being investigated:
- There is no scrollbar in the list of languages.
- Chinese characters are not displayed correctly.

Other known limitations:
- It doesn't cover the whole lifecycle of the process, for example in-app
purchase on iOS.

The app itself is built multiple times a day, but new translations are
imported once a day over the week (not over the weekend, since there's a
manual review before merge).

Francesco

Il giorno mer 10 feb 2021 alle ore 07:49 Francesco Lodolo <fl...@lodolo.net>

Francesco Lodolo

Mar 15, 2021, 4:57:49 AM3/15/21
to Mozilla l10n Mailing List
Hi,

A couple of updates on this project.

The web client[1] has been updated, and provides a way to display pages
that are not part of the basic flow (like error pages). You can switch
through them by clicking the "Viewer Menu" at the top.
The list in that menu is in English, like the labels in the "System tray
menu" box on the right, because those labels are only there to help with
testing, they're not part of the actual app.

We fixed a few bugs, including language names not being translated. The
only outstanding bug is with Chinese. Unfortunately, that's a bug in the
WebAssembly layer, not in the app.

I've also enabled a new project, "Mozilla VPN Website", for now only for
the requested locales (de, fr, en-GB, en-CA). It can still be requested if
you want to localize it and are already localizing the VPN Client
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/mozilla-vpn-website/

A few notable things:
- vpn.mozilla.org now redirects to mozilla.org, and those pages will be
localized through the usual flow for that project.
- Only a few pages remain on vpn.mozilla.org (complete the authentication
flow, download pages), and they're covered by this new project.
- There is currently no way to test the pages, but we're working on it. We
wanted to expose the content as soon as possible, to provide localizers
with more time.
- The deadline is only indicative, to provide you with a timeframe.

As usual, let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for working on
this project.

Francesco

[1] https://mozilla-mobile.github.io/mozilla-vpn-client/

Il giorno gio 11 feb 2021 alle ore 19:14 Francesco Lodolo <fl...@lodolo.net>