Vietnamese (vi) Firefox Mobile and Firefox Home

Hung. NGUYEN Manh

Jun 21, 2011, 5:34:51 AM6/21/11
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

We (the Vietnamese team) missed Firefox Mobile 4. However, we managed to finish the translation for Firefox Mobile 5 and got the sign-off accepted by Axel [1].

However, in the newest Firefox Mobile 5 Beta, I still dont see Vietnamese in the language menu setting. Is there something wrong here?

About Firefox Home, is this project still available for localizing? We'd like to help Mozilla distributing a Vietnamese version of it, as iPhone has quite a large user base in Vietnam.

[1]: https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/signoffs/vi/fennec5

-----
Nguyen Manh Hung
(Hung. NGUYEN Manh)
Try Firefox - a better web browser! www.mozilla.com/vi
How to address me properly? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_name

Thomas Arend

Jun 28, 2011, 1:44:51 PM6/28/11
On Jun 21, 2:34 am, "Hung. NGUYEN Manh" <loveleeyoun...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We (theVietnameseteam) missed Firefox Mobile 4. However, we managed to finish the translation for Firefox Mobile 5 and got the sign-off accepted by Axel [1].
>
> However, in the newest Firefox Mobile 5 Beta, I still dont seeVietnamesein the language menu setting. Is there something wrong here?
>
> About Firefox Home, is this project still available for localizing? We'd like to help Mozilla distributing aVietnameseversion of it, as iPhone has quite a large user base in Vietnam.

> [1]:https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/signoffs/vi/fennec5
>

> -----
> Nguyen Manh Hung
> (Hung. NGUYEN Manh)
> Try Firefox - a better web browser!www.mozilla.com/vi
> How to address me properly? -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_name

Hi Nguyen,
Thanks a lot for your note. In Firefox for Android we are currently
transitioning over to our new model of getting rid of the multi-locale
build in favor of putting all languages as language packs (XPI) on
AMO: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Projects/Firstrun_language_choice
We have several goals: (1) reduce size of the installation package,
(2) replace FTP as medium for lang packs with AMO, (3) allow Firefox
for Android to install any language pack that is available on AMO,
making it easier and more dynamic to publish language packs.
That said, due to dynamics in our release schedule, we will have to
wait for Firefox 7 to launch the new first-run language choice
experience and to complete the move to AMO. In the meantime, we can't
add additional languages to the multi-locale pack but instead
encourage you to offer your XPI for installation on the existing
storage locations (FTP, etc.) until we can get to a better solution
with Fx7.
Thanks a lot for your very important contribution. Please contact me
anytime with your questions and concerns.
-Thomas

Thomas Arend, Ph.D. | Principal Product Manager Mobile | Mozilla |
tar...@mozilla.com