MDN localization

Michael 'Coce' Köhler

Mar 4, 2021, 3:16:32 PM3/4/21

I just ran into trouble when tryin to update the MDN localization in
Pontoon. When I open the project it says

> This is a read-only localization.
I cannot modify existing translations and I cannot add new ones. Is this
intentional?

Thanks,

Michael

Michal Stanke

Mar 4, 2021, 3:37:35 PM3/4/21
to Mozilla projects web content localization
Hi Michael.

Yes, it's intentional. MDN UI for users supports only English, the content
can be in English, Chinese, French and Japanese. In the recent MDN blog
posts you could read that the platform has changed from Kuma (Python,
Django) to Yari (basically static site generator with a lot of GitHub
magic). More information on the current status you can find in
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Contribute/Localize and in
blog posts linked from there. There are places where Kuma is still used
(and thus you can see parts of the UI in German or other language), which I
was able to find when signed in and editing the profile for example. But
not in the main UI where you consume the content.
--
Michal Stanke

čt 4. 3. 2021 v 21:20 odesílatel Michael 'Coce' Köhler <co...@nurfuerspam.de>

pmo

Mar 4, 2021, 4:27:37 PM3/4/21
to Mozilla projects web content localization, Michal Stanke
Hello All,

MDN in Pontoon is switched to read-only mode just a few days ago per the
instruction of the team, and this is for all locales except for fr, ja,
zh-CN and zh-TW locales. You can read more here about this change:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2021/02/mdn-localization-update-february-2021/

I am waiting for the team to decide if the read-only locales should be
disabled all together so localizers of these locales don't receive
notices every time new strings are added to Pontoon.

I will follow up on this as soon as I hear back from the team.

Thank you,

Peiying

Peiying Mo

Mar 24, 2021, 3:50:43 PM3/24/21
to Mozilla projects web content localization
Hello Again,

I would like to update you on the status of this project. The MDN team
initially wanted to keep the non-tier 1 locales in read-only mode while
deciding which other locales they wanted to enable at a later date. This
causes a lot of confusion for localizers who wanted to complete the project
but couldn't.

We have now disabled all the locales on Pontoon except for tier 1 locales:
fr, ja, zh-CN and zh-TW.

When the team decides to expand the tier1 list at a later time, the
attributes to who contributed to what at when will be restored in Pontoon
and your work will remain in GitHub with or without this change.

Thank you,
Peiying