[mozilla.org]: New Nav bar and updated footer

Peiying Mo

Nov 6, 2020, 7:48:23 PM11/6/20
to localization, Mozilla
Hello Localizers,

We have a few new and updated files for the footer and navigation.

*File names*:

- https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/mozillaorg/en/*navigation_v2.ftl*/
- https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/mozillaorg/en/*sub_navigation.ftl*
/
- https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/mozillaorg/en/*footer.ftl*

*Testing server*: https://www-demo1.allizom.org/
*NOTE*:

- *navigation_v2.ftl* will replace *navigation.ftl* at some point though
no solid deadline is provided. You should be able to leverage some of the
strings to the new file. As soon as v2 reaches 80% completion, it will be
activated, thus replacing the old version. The complete switch over for all
locales will take place in the future. When that happens, I will send out a
notice in advance.
- *footer.ftl*. There are quite a few obsolete strings in the file but
because only a handful new strings are added, we decide to keep the same
file. Luckily, there are only a few updates, so please complete the file
soon.
- de, fr locales will be covered by Mozilla staff.

Thank you everyone and have a wonderful weekend!
Peiying

Michal Stanke

Nov 16, 2020, 12:19:07 PM11/16/20
to Mozilla projects web content localization
Hi Peiying.

I guess I found an error in the import for footer.ftl file. There are two
strings - footer-follow-mozilla and footer-follow-firefox. Currently they
contain reference to { -brand-name-mozilla } and { -brand-name-firefox },
however I think they shouldn't. There are cases when the local version of
the brand name might differ, e.g. when declension is used. Instead I
believe the string should contain @mozilla and @firefox explicitly, because
that are the names of the Twitter accounts.
--
Michal Stanke

pmo

Nov 16, 2020, 1:35:48 PM11/16/20
to Mozilla projects web content localization, Michal Stanke
Hello Michal,

Thank you for your email and for raising good questions. This is how I
interpret why they should be treated as brands:

- I believe the official Twitter accounts from MoCo are @Mozilla and
@Firefox.

- As brands, both should be left unchanged, which was the conclusion
from the last brand discussion.

- As for the local versions where declensions are used, are they the
official Twitter accounts from the company? If yes, I will check with
marketing. I believe on the mozilla.org site, the intent is to direct
user/reader to the official channels. Having said that, the posts are
likely in English only.

Peiying