Localization in Corsican

Patriccollu di Santa Maria è Sichè

Oct 27, 2018, 6:49:04 AM10/27/18
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

I would like to start translating some Mozilla projects, especially Firefox and Thunderbird, because I consider these programs very useful as

they are used every day by many end-users.

I understand that these translations involve a lot of strings and therefore require a lot of work! So I agree to start translating smaller

projects. In my opinion, this is important to start the process by placing a stone, or two, to build a wall ;-)

So far I'm working alone but looking for motivated people around me to help and contribute. I'm a member of a cultural association who

promotes Corsican language and traditional polyphonic songs.

Regarding the new Corsican locale in Pontoon:
- The plural form is represented by: nplurals=2; plural=(n > 1);
- The Language code is 'co' ('cos' in ISO 639-2/3) but can be 'co-FR'
- There is no specific Country code for Corsica as it's a French region

Cheers,
Patriccollu.

Delphine Lebédel

Oct 29, 2018, 2:46:20 PM10/29/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Patriccollu,

Thanks for your interest in Mozilla Localizations :) I can definitely help
set you up.
We can get you started with a project like Focus for Android browser
<https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/focus-for-android/>, that is smaller
in size and is on a rapid release cycle (so it can ship with your locale
quite fast!).
Let me know if you're interested and I can work that soon.

cheers
delphine

Delphine Lebédel

Oct 29, 2018, 2:46:21 PM10/29/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org

Patriccollu di Santa Maria è Sichè

Oct 29, 2018, 7:25:13 PM10/29/18
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Delphine,

Thanks for your answer. I agree to work on a small project to start but I'm not sure that a project on Android is the best choice, especially to test it. If I'm not wrong Android does not propose the Corsican locale today :-(

But iOS does. So what do you think about starting with a project on iOS?

Cheers,
Patriccollu.

Patriccollu di Santa Maria è Sichè

Oct 29, 2018, 7:48:36 PM10/29/18
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Actually Corsican can't be set for the iPhone language but it can be used for the apps and websites.

More details here:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-ios/issues/257#note_16743

Delphine Lebédel

Oct 29, 2018, 8:04:44 PM10/29/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Patriccollu,

We can add almost any locale to Focus Android, because we have a language
switcher in-app. So we don't depend on the system the OS proposes.

Also, I checked on my iOS device and I see "Corse" ("Cordu") there, so that
means we can add it (we're tied to OS system languages in that case).

We're not actively developing Focus for iOS anymore, but we are doing Firefox
for iOS <https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-ios/>. It's a
larger project, but still smaller than say Firefox or Firefox for Android,
so I guess we could go ahead and enable that if you'd like.

How about we follow-up directly about that in order to move forward (so, no
need to CC the mailing lists anymore). I can definitely help kick start
things and get you going.

Just let me know ;)
thanks
delphine

Delphine Lebédel

Oct 29, 2018, 8:04:45 PM10/29/18
[...]

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:48 PM Patriccollu di Santa Maria è Sichè <
patri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually Corsican can't be set for the iPhone language but it can be used
> for the apps and websites.
>
> More details here:
> https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-ios/issues/257#note_16743

Patriccollu di Santa Maria è Sichè

Oct 29, 2018, 8:43:46 PM10/29/18
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Delphine,

Yes, I would be happy to start with Firefox for iOS and Focus Android.

I must confess that I don't know how to not CC the mailing lists!

Cheers,
Patriccollu.