New Localization for Cantonese

Henry Chan

Oct 31, 2020, 3:48:43 PM10/31/20
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
1) What Mozilla product are you hoping to localise? Keep in mind that
Firefox desktop is a rather large project which can potentially take a long
time for a full localisation to ship.

Common Voice.

2) Which language code should be used? (ISO-639-1, ISO-639-3, country code).

yue

3) How many plural forms are in the language? To give an example,
how would you translate the following phrases:

- *0 rocks* 無石 (no rocks)
- *1 rock* 一嚿石
- *2 rocks* 兩嚿石
- *3 rocks* 三嚿石
- *4 rocks * 四嚿石
- *5 rocks* 五嚿石
- *10 rocks* 十嚿石
- *20 rocks* 二十嚿石 / 廿嚿石
- *100 rocks* 一百嚿石
- *1000 rocks* 一千嚿石
- *I see 0 rocks on the ground* 地吓唔見有石
- *I see 1 rock on the ground* 地吓有一嚿石
- *I see 10 rock on the ground* 地吓有十嚿石
- *I see rocks on the ground* 地吓有啲石

4) Are you hoping to localise alone or do you have friends that will join
you? For sustainability of the localisation (because we're always releasing
new versions of Firefox products that will need localising), we'd prefer to
only ship new locales that have more than one person sustaining them.

We're the Cantonese Computational Linguistics Infrastructure Development Workgroup (CanCLID), a team of volunteers from Guangdong, Guangxi, Hong Kong, Macau, and the United States. We can be found here: https://jyutping.org/ or here: https://github.com/canclid.

Jeff Beatty

Oct 31, 2020, 5:53:50 PM10/31/20
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Henry,

Thank you for your interest in localizing the Common Voice project. The
strategy for Chinese localization is distinct from Chinese voice data
collection. I suggest reaching out to the point of contact for the Common
Voice project to learn more about that strategy. Their information can be
found in the project’s Pontoon page:
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/common-voice/

Thanks,
Jeff

El El sáb, oct. 31, 2020 a la(s) 1:48 p. m., Henry Chan <

Jeff Beatty

Oct 31, 2020, 5:53:51 PM10/31/20
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org

Henry Chan

Nov 2, 2020, 7:46:22 AM11/2/20
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Jeff,

Is there also an explanation for the strategy for the Chinese languages localization documented somewhere? Common Voice would not be the only project that's relevant for Cantonese localization.

Thanks,
Henry

Jeff Beatty

Nov 2, 2020, 9:36:26 AM11/2/20
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l10n-new-locales
No, nothing documented.

I should note that I misspoke, the Common Voice design treats the site
localization and voice collection distinctly. For languages that share a
written form but split in the vocal form, the site is localized in the
common written form and user account settings are used to differentiate
between the vocal modes. I'm not sure how this design fully applies to
Chinese voice collection (you can find out more from their point of
contact), but for localization we try to stick with Simplified and
Traditional Chinese written forms.

Jeff

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 5:46 AM Henry Chan <henry.fai...@gmail.com>

Jeff Beatty