Localization of Armenian

Translator Students

Jul 26, 2019, 11:10:59 AM7/26/19
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Dear mozillians,

Could you please enable translation of following languages in Pontoon?

Below are the answers to the template questions:

1) What Mozilla product are you hoping to localize?

Thunderbird, Firefox, Lightning

2) Which language code should be used? (ISO-639-1, ISO-639-3, country code).

We plan to complete 3 languages: Classical Armenian (ISO-639-3 code xcl), Eastern Armenian (ISO 639-3 code hye) and Western Armenian (ISO 639-3 cod hyw).

In addition, Eastern Armenian has two variants: Modern orthography (mainly used in ex-USSR territory) and Classic Orthography (used in the rest of eastern-Armenian territories).

Thus - 4 locales (PO file translations) need to be provided.

Currently Mozilla community has a team working on hy_AM, which they used for the Eastern-Armenian with Modern orthography. Hence, for the Eastern-Armenian with Classic orthography we will use hye_AM.

Therefore, we kindly ask to provide us access to:

hye - for Eastern Armenian with Classic Orthography
hyw - for Western Armenian
xcl - classic Armenian.

For the country codes, the ones of immediate interest are AM, USA, UK, FR, LB, RU, IR, AR, BR, ES. However, since there is no difference in PO files based on the country-code, if the system supports adding locale for all countries based on the language-code alone (i.e. for any country code), that would be preferable.

3) How many plural forms are in the language? To give an example,
how would you translate the following phrases:

For all 3 languages: (nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);\n")

4) Are you hoping to localize alone or do you have friends that will join
you? For sustainability of the localisation (because we're always releasing
new versions of Firefox products that will need localizing), we'd prefer to
only ship new locales that have more than one person sustaining them.

We are a network of Collages in Republic of Armenia, which include the practical work on Armenian translations and localizations in their curricula. Currently there is ~100 students accepted each year.

The linguistic studies and projects are part of I/II/III year curricula and yearly/graduate projects.

In addition, some of us are employed in an organization which is building a loclalised GNU/Linux distribution for the use by Armenian government.

Regards,
Realschool translator team

Francesco Lodolo

Jul 31, 2019, 1:55:18 AM7/31/19
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

First of all thanks for your interest in contributing to Mozilla. This
is definitely an interesting project, but we'd like to be able to talk
with individuals to get a better understanding around some of the
details, the scope of the project, community organization, etc.

Given that this is a college project, I assume these would be the
professors teaching these courses? Please reach out to me at
flod(at)mozilla.com so that we can start a conversation.

Francesco

Il giorno ven 26 lug 2019 alle ore 17:10 Translator Students

Francesco Lodolo

Jul 31, 2019, 1:55:23 AM7/31/19
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org