Jan 9, 2019, 3:48:03 AM1/9/19
1) What Mozilla product are you hoping to localise? Keep in mind that
Firefox desktop is a rather large project which can potentially take a long
time for a full localisation to ship.
I would like to contribute recordings for Common Voice, and maybe help with some other projects, e.g. invite a couple of speakers tp translate services like telegram and/or Mozilla.
2) Which language code should be used? (ISO-639-1, ISO-639-3, country code).
The Hill Mari language (ISO 639-3: mrj, Glottocode: west2392), its Kozymodemyan dialect (Glottocode: kozy1238) in particular (as all audio recordings I have were recorded there).
3) How many plural forms are in the language?
To give an example, how would you translate the following phrases:
- *0 rocks* This one is a bit tricky since no Mari person would say that with a numeral 'zero' (as well as in case of *I see 0 rocks on the ground*, so the most suitable variant would be 'ик кӱэрат уке' (here -эр makes a kind of 'collective' meaning and -ат is a focus particle often used under negation, so all in all that would mean ~'not even one rock')
- *1 rock* ик кӱ
- *2 rocks* кок кӱ
- *3 rocks* кым кӱ
- *4 rocks * вӹц кӱ
- *5 rocks* куд кӱ
- *10 rocks* лу(ат) кӱ
- *20 rocks* коклы кӱ
- *100 rocks* шӱды кӱ
- *1000 rocks* тӹжем кӱ
- *I see 0 rocks on the ground* мӹнь
- *I see 1 rock on the ground* мӹнь ик кӱм ужам
- *I see 10 rock on the ground* мӹнь лу кӱм ужам
- *I see rocks on the ground* мӹнь кӱвлӓм ужам
So, plurals with number are usually in their normal form or normal form + case/possessiveness.
If it is a plural form in other contexts, the plurality marker -влӓ preceeds or follows case markers.
4) Are you hoping to localise alone or do you have friends that will join
I am going to invite some other member of Hill Mari expedition group, and maybe even some of Hill Mari speakers we work with would like to join. In any case, I am not the only one interested in it.