Firefox OS in your language

arky

Mar 18, 2014, 2:33:59 AM3/18/14

Are you interested to translate Firefox OS into your language. You can
get started by registering on Pootle.

http://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/firefoxos/

If your language is missing, Please send the request to Pootle Tech Team
<tech...@translate.org.za>.

Please feel free to get in touch should you have any doubts or questions.

Cheers

-- arky

Ankit Patel

Mar 18, 2014, 3:07:21 AM3/18/14
to dev-l...@lists.mozilla.org
On 03/18/2014 12:03 PM, arky wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Arky,

> Are you interested to translate Firefox OS into your language. You
> can get started by registering on Pootle.

I completed Gujarati translations well on time (directly through hg or
mercurial) during the first release of Firefox OS, but unfortunately
Gujarati couldn't be included in the release because of non-support for
the language!

> http://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/firefoxos/
>
> If your language is missing, Please send the request to Pootle Tech
> Team <tech...@translate.org.za>.

Sweta of I never asked to enable Gujarati on Pootle!

I would like to know who got it enabled here?
http://mozilla.locamotion.org/gu/firefoxos/

> Please feel free to get in touch should you have any doubts or
> questions.

Moreover, I see non-Gujarati members as contributors!

> Cheers
>
> -- arky

If one would like to know the process of Gujarati localization for
Mozilla projects, it's well documented here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Teams:gu-IN

Nobody other than me will be more happier in the world to see new
contributors, but one shouldn't bypass the well established process. For
instance
http://sourceforge.net/p/indianoss/mailman/indianoss-gujarati/?viewmonth=201403

Thanks,
--
Regards,
Ankit Patel

arky

Mar 18, 2014, 12:47:29 PM3/18/14
Hi Ankit,

> I completed Gujarati translations well on time (directly through hg or
> mercurial) during the first release of Firefox OS, but unfortunately
> Gujarati couldn't be included in the release because of non-support for
> the language!

Let's finish the localization and make sure there is Gujarati keyboard
and dictionary. Geeksphone builds and ships quite a few languages for
Keon and Peak series.

http://downloads.geeksphone.com/

> Sweta of I never asked to enable Gujarati on Pootle!
>
> I would like to know who got it enabled here?
> http://mozilla.locamotion.org/gu/firefoxos/

I have no idea. Drop a line to Pootle Tech Team
<tech...@translate.org.za>.

Cheers

--arky

Ankit Patel

Mar 19, 2014, 4:21:15 AM3/19/14
to dev-l...@lists.mozilla.org, tech...@translate.org.za
On 03/18/2014 10:17 PM, arky wrote:
> Hi Ankit,
>
>> I completed Gujarati translations well on time (directly through hg
>> or mercurial) during the first release of Firefox OS, but
>> unfortunately Gujarati couldn't be included in the release because
>> of non-support for the language!
>>

> Let's finish the localization and make sure there is Gujarati
> keyboard and dictionary. Geeksphone builds and ships quite a few
> languages for Keon and Peak series.
>
> http://downloads.geeksphone.com/

Absolutely. Jeff has already approached each of us individually for this
task.

>> Sweta of I never asked to enable Gujarati on Pootle!
>>
>> I would like to know who got it enabled here?
>> http://mozilla.locamotion.org/gu/firefoxos/
>
> I have no idea. Drop a line to Pootle Tech Team
> <tech...@translate.org.za>.

Tech...@translate.org.za - Could you guys please remove Gujarati from
firefoxos translations? Gujarati localization team is quite comfortable
with traditional way of managing translations through hg (or mercurial).

Thanks,
Ankit

> Cheers
>
> --arky

Dwayne Bailey

Mar 19, 2014, 12:28:23 PM3/19/14
to an...@redhat.com, Firefox Pootle Tech Team, dev-l...@lists.mozilla.org
On 19 March 2014 08:21, Ankit Patel <an...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/18/2014 10:17 PM, arky wrote:
>
>> Hi Ankit,
>>
>> I completed Gujarati translations well on time (directly through hg
>>> or mercurial) during the first release of Firefox OS, but
>>> unfortunately Gujarati couldn't be included in the release because
>>> of non-support for the language!
>>>

>> Let's finish the localization and make sure there is Gujarati
>> keyboard and dictionary. Geeksphone builds and ships quite a few
>> languages for Keon and Peak series.
>>
>> http://downloads.geeksphone.com/
>>

> Absolutely. Jeff has already approached each of us individually for this
> task.
>

> Sweta of I never asked to enable Gujarati on Pootle!
>>>
>>> I would like to know who got it enabled here?
>>> http://mozilla.locamotion.org/gu/firefoxos/
>>>

>> I have no idea. Drop a line to Pootle Tech Team
>> <tech...@translate.org.za>.
>>

> Tech...@translate.org.za - Could you guys please remove Gujarati from
> firefoxos translations? Gujarati localization team is quite comfortable
> with traditional way of managing translations through hg (or mercurial).

No Problem will do that as soon as I send off this email.

I would just like to clarify some things as this does leave the impression
that the Pootle tech-team just does whatever it wants and doesn't consider
language teams. Which is very far from the truth.

Firstly, when we get request to join teams we send those off to the team
whether they use Pootle or not. When we are asked for translation rights
for a hosted team we at most will give suggestion rights and point the
person to the teams wiki page. The rights assignment is for the team to
do. We also only host teams if they ask.

Just for some clarity, Gujarati is on Pootle because, as per the first
commit in PO

*Author: Dwayne Bailey <dwa...@translate.org.za
<dwa...@translate.org.za>>Date: Sun Nov 18 18:05:04 2012 +0800
Various: MozCamp Asia b2g sprint*
So we've simply hosted the files since that sprint. Sorry if that was some
kind of overlap with the team, I assumed most of the participants at that
sprint where team members as that's how they would have been at that
MozCamp.

In terms of your existing translation, I would recommend you actually get
it into Mercurial since there is nothing there now except what I committed
after the sprint and subsequently.

Lastly, and I think this applies to all teams. Choose what works for you,
Pootle works really well for many teams. Some teams have access to deep
technical skills and find it less useful. But I would caution you being
comfortable with you current process is sometimes not the best approach to
getting others involved in localisation. And from what I've seen in other
teams they'd love others to help and choosing Pootle has lowered their
barrier to entry for new participants, spreading the load.

--
Dwayne

*Translate*
+27 12 460 1095 (work)

Ankit Patel

Mar 20, 2014, 1:28:13 AM3/20/14
to Dwayne Bailey, Firefox Pootle Tech Team, dev-l...@lists.mozilla.org
On 03/19/2014 09:58 PM, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> On 19 March 2014 08:21, Ankit Patel <an...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Tech...@translate.org.za - Could you guys please remove Gujarati from
>> firefoxos translations? Gujarati localization team is quite comfortable
>> with traditional way of managing translations through hg (or mercurial).
>>

> No Problem will do that as soon as I send off this email.
>
> I would just like to clarify some things as this does leave the impression
> that the Pootle tech-team just does whatever it wants and doesn't consider
> language teams. Which is very far from the truth.
>
> Firstly, when we get request to join teams we send those off to the team
> whether they use Pootle or not. When we are asked for translation rights
> for a hosted team we at most will give suggestion rights and point the
> person to the teams wiki page. The rights assignment is for the team to
> do. We also only host teams if they ask.
>
> Just for some clarity, Gujarati is on Pootle because, as per the first
> commit in PO

Thanks Dwayne,

Going forward there has to be a process (documented somewhere)
mentioning *steps to host your translations on pootle* if not already
there. Which certainly should have the step to ask for the approval (or
consent at least) to go ahead.

Dwayne Bailey

Mar 20, 2014, 8:43:47 AM3/20/14
to an...@redhat.com, Firefox Pootle Tech Team, dev-l...@lists.mozilla.org
There is already a documented process that the tech-team follows for
hosting languages. Summary is that we always defer to the teams that
already exist.

I'm not sure we need to document how to ask to host you team as simply
using the contact form or the various mailing lists is enough.

I'm sure you will agree that the MozCamp sprint is an unusual anomaly from
over 18 months ago at a time when Firefox OS was really really new and we'd
only just started hosting Firefox OS on Pootle.

Ankit Patel

Mar 20, 2014, 9:42:30 AM3/20/14
On 03/20/2014 06:13 PM, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> There is already a documented process that the tech-team follows for
> hosting languages. Summary is that we always defer to the teams that
> already exist.

That's good. Can you point me to the location of the documented process?

> I'm not sure we need to document how to ask to host you team as simply
> using the contact form or the various mailing lists is enough.
>
> I'm sure you will agree that the MozCamp sprint is an unusual anomaly from
> over 18 months ago at a time when Firefox OS was really really new and we'd
> only just started hosting Firefox OS on Pootle.

I agree Dwayne.

Dwayne Bailey

Mar 20, 2014, 10:09:25 AM3/20/14
On 20 March 2014 13:42, Ankit Patel <an...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/20/2014 06:13 PM, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
>
>> There is already a documented process that the tech-team follows for
>> hosting languages. Summary is that we always defer to the teams that
>> already exist.
>>

> That's good. Can you point me to the location of the documented process?

Sure,
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xATs21hss__6ty_EDuAHbfsqS-akBAS1SJjUn-tpoMc/edit?usp=sharing

Pretty boring unless you want to help as a tech-team member?