Requesting for geolocate Api key

Navratan Prajapat

Nov 23, 2017, 7:26:30 AM11/23/17
to dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Sir/Mam,

First of all i would like to introduce myself, I am Navaratn P. , developer
in *Codespur Technologies* located in Jaipur, Rajasthan ( *INDIA* ), and i
am looking for a support from your side.

I have found a location service provided by you by calling that API :
https://location.services.mozilla.com/v1/geolocate?key=test
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Flocation.services.mozilla.com%2Fv1%2Fgeolocate%3Fkey%3Dtest&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHEqpIlfoIlFMDdI7ok3Pt1Ij9DQw>

But i see there is a key with 'test', so i am afraid to use it for the live
use, and as i read in some of your articles, they saying to contact you for
the key, that's why i am writing this email.

So please let me know how can i apply for the key, this email is OK for the
requesting the key or i have to do anything more.

Details are here :
Website URL ( Where i going to implement )
https://www.thetastingpaddle.com.au/

You can contact me at navar...@unv7.com .

Looking forward for your positive reply.

Thanks and Regards
NAVARATAN P.

Felix Baumann

Nov 23, 2017, 10:30:07 AM11/23/17
to Discussion about Geo location services, Navratan Prajapat
Hello Navaratan,

I'm just a member from this mailing list (like you), so I'm not responsible for new keys. But I still may be able to help you.

What is your use-case for a location service?
Are you trying to get the rough location of the users visiting your website?
Or are you BUILDING native software for an OS?

Regards,
Felix Baumann

Felix Baumann

Nov 29, 2017, 12:49:05 AM11/29/17
to Navratan Prajapat, dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

the good thing is: you don't need this API for that task :)

Not only that but you won't be able to use it.
Websites aren't able to get information about the wifi ap and cell towers the users are connected to, but you need that specific info to be able to query the MLS API.

https://location.services.mozilla.com/api

Browsers are able to get the required information from the OS though and therefore query MLS or a similar service to provide an API on their own:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Geolocation/Using_geolocation

You can just ask the browser, where the client is, but the user will be asked for his/her permission for giving the website their current position.

The only other way (without the HTML5 API) to get an (rough) estimation for the position of website visitors is by looking up their IP.

If you've further questions, then don't hesitate to ask :)

Regards,
Felix Baumann