Location of my WiFi

Bernd Morgeneyer

May 6, 2017, 3:18:15 AM5/6/17
to dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

after I installed a used router, my Android smartphone shows the location of
the previous owner as my location. If Google uses Mozilla's database - how
can I tell you the correct position of my WiFi?

Thank you,

Bernd Morgeneyer

Felix Baumann

May 6, 2017, 4:44:09 AM5/6/17
to Discussion about Geo location services, Bernd Morgeneyer
Hello Bernd,

that's expected behaviour which corrects itself once you used Mozilla's app MozStumbler a few times around your home.

I'm not sure how much time it takes though.

What I'm certain about is that Google isn't using Mozilla's database.

But if you set the switch in your wifi settings for allowing background scans (in newer Android versions they moved it to your location settings where GPS is), using MozStumbler will also allow Google to scan your neighborhood for new wifi APs, so Google's data will be updated at the same time.

Regards,
Felix

MFG
Felix Baumann