Bts inside rapid transit (metro, subway, underground)

sergio

Feb 22, 2019, 5:51:40 PM2/22/19
to dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello.

This is a common crosspost for opencellid, radiocells and mozilla location.

The rapid transit (metro,subway, tube) in my city has a very good GSM,
WCDMA and LTE coverage. On the stations and inside tunnels. We have 4
different real (not virtual) operators so there a lot of stations. And
there are no GPS or any other GNSS coverage, of couse.

So I can’t fill the database with TowerCollector Radiobeacon or Mozilla
Stumbler.

But it will be very-very coll to see on the map where you are during the
trip.
Moreover, I’m dreaming about the app that will notify me when should I
exit (the station before).

I’m ready to fill the database manually: to visit all stations, make
records, and publish them associating according to each station.

There is also wifi in each train (wagon), but I see no reason to put it
into database as it’s moving.

--
sergio.

sergio

Feb 22, 2019, 6:13:18 PM2/22/19
to dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org

Chris Peterson

Feb 22, 2019, 8:05:48 PM2/22/19
to mozilla-dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Sergio, thanks for the update. Unfortunately, we don't have a process
for importing manual location readings into the Mozilla location database.

The Mozilla Stumbler app relies on real GPS (satellites) to locate the
position of Wi-Fi networks. We don't use Android's location provider API
because we don't want to inadvertently feed Google's location data into
Mozilla's location database. Thus, the Mozilla Stumbler can't work
underground.

chris

sergio

Feb 23, 2019, 3:53:02 AM2/23/19
to dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org
On 23/02/2019 04:05, Chris Peterson wrote:

> The Mozilla Stumbler app relies on real GPS (satellites) to locate the
> position of Wi-Fi networks.

> Unfortunately, we don't have a process for importing manual location
> readings into the Mozilla location database.

> Mozilla Stumbler can't work underground.

I know, or course. But I'd like to provide locations manually.

> We don't use Android's location provider API

Google location also doesn't work in our underground. How its api is
related?

There is a microG with UnifiedNlp that can use Mozilla Location Service.

--
sergio.

Felix Baumann

Feb 25, 2019, 6:39:14 AM2/25/19
to Discussion about Geo location services
just an idea: suggest the metro company to build/provide such an app ;)

they have the necessary data: they know where every waggon and therefore where each wifi hotspot is.

They could use bssids to id the waggon you're sitting in.

they wouldn't even need the ID of the nearby mobile cells for your location in that case.

Regards
Felix Baumann