enable Geolocation for Version 3.5 and above

Jannellies Ngu

Jul 23, 2018, 5:59:06 AM7/23/18
to dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

May I know is there other solution to enable Geolocation for Firefox
Version 3.5 and above without purchasing SSL Certificate?

Thanks.

Felix Baumann

Jul 23, 2018, 6:41:00 AM7/23/18
to Discussion about Geo location services, Jannellies Ngu
Hi Jannellies,

what are you trying to achieve?
Do you want to set up your own Geolocation server and replace "geo.wifi.uri" in the Firefox config with the url of that new server?
Are other people supposed to be able to use the same Geolocation server as well?

Or are you trying to use the HTML5 Geolocation API on your Website? In that case, yes your website is required to be encrypted (https).
The reason is simple: Browser operators want to keep Nodes between the user and the server from spying on the user's position or manipulating it. (proxies, carriers, intelligence agencies etc.)

You don't need to spend money these days to apply for a certificate though.
I can recommend certificates from the CA "Let's Encrypt".

If the website isn't visited by anyone except yourself, then you can also self-sign a certificate and trust it in your webbrowser.

Regards
Felix Baumann

Felix Baumann

Jul 24, 2018, 1:02:16 AM7/24/18
to Jannellies Ngu, Discussion about Geo location services
Hi Ngu,

you're welcome :)
let's encrypt is completely free of charge. No trials or anything like that.
https://letsencrypt.org/about/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_Encrypt

You can even automate the certificate renewal process, so that you
don't need to update the certificate manually anymore.
Your server will do it for you then by using let's encrypt's API
https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/

Their goal is to make encryption easy to use and thereby ubiquitous.
Encrypting web traffic is literally the default on the web now and there is
nothing wrong with that.
Encrypted websites get a better position on google and other search
engines. (SEO)
Chrome marks http (unencrypted) websites as of this month as unsafe.
(in-case you haven't noticed that, yet)

I don't know, if you know the following, yet, but your website has a
login feature
and your web traffic is unencrypted. If users access your websites from
a public,
unencrypted wifi hotspot, then other people nearby can hijack their
session and
(with a bit of luck) spy on their login credentials.
(same goes for the owner of the hotspot of course)

Proof-of-Concept addon (2010):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesheep

Btw.: Not only Firefox blocks the geolocation api on http:
Also Chrome (desktop and Android), Safari on iOS and Opera
https://caniuse.com/#feat=geolocation
https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/04/geolocation-on-secure-contexts-only

Regards
Felix Baumann