OUIs of WiFi access points stats

Marc Finet

Aug 2, 2017, 6:22:23 AM8/2/17
to dev-geo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

Since the WiFi database could not be downloaded for "legal" reasons [1]
which I fully understand, could it be possible to have a list of Vendor IDs
(OUI [3]) for all the WiFi Access Points.

The idea is to distinguish [2] Access Point devices from client devices.
Ideally, the number of APs for a given Vendor ID could be reported, and as
a bonus, a report per continent or even per country could be nice (more for
stats though).

Thanks,

Marc.

[1] https://location.services.mozilla.com/downloads
[2] I know that a given OUI could be used for any use (client or AP) but
the bigger the number of MAC having a OUI, the higher the probability that
this OUI is equipping Access Points.
[3] OUI might not suffice to clearly identify a vendor, it might be enough
for the wanted heuristic, and fair regarding personal information (e.g.
https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob_plain;f=manuf;hb=HEAD
)