Building Firefox on Red Hat Linux 9

angrez

Mar 15, 2007, 12:04:49 AM3/15/07

I was trying to build Firefox on Linux along with JSSh extension so that
I can create a custom XPI. I somehow got it build with no errors but
when I tried to use the XPI I got the following error while starting
Firefox after installing the extension.

./run-mozilla.sh: line 451: 1912 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Following are the errors that I encountered and somehow got passed them
don't know if that was the correct way to resolve them or not.

My .mozconfig file looks like this: (in mozilla directory)

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/fx-jssh
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,jssh,webservices

When I run ./configure it gives error like this:

--enable-application=APP is required.

This option is provided in mozconfig don't know why it was not getting
picked up.
I was able to overcome this by using "./configure
--enable-application=browser". Is this correct way to do this?

After configuring when i used "make -f client.mk" it ends with error
saying that there already exists a build.

I overcome this by using "make" command and everything got compiled with
no errors. Is this correct way?

Also when I used the following in .mozconfig:
. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
I got error that No such file for directory browser/config/mozconfig
(though it exists)

I am guessing that I am not placing .mozconfig file at correct place.

Sorry for such a long mail. Any helps will be appreciated.

Regards,
Angrez

Boris Zbarsky

Mar 15, 2007, 12:54:30 AM3/15/07
angrez wrote:
> When I run ./configure it gives error like this:

Running ./configure doesn't look at .mozconfig. You should be using 'make -f
client.mk build' instead. The build documentation is pretty clear about that,
last I checked...

> I was able to overcome this by using "./configure
> --enable-application=browser". Is this correct way to do this?

No. The correct way is to follow the build instructions. ;)

> After configuring when i used "make -f client.mk" it ends with error
> saying that there already exists a build.

Right, since you configured a sourcedir build.

> I overcome this by using "make" command and everything got compiled with
> no errors. Is this correct way?

No. The correct way is to follow the build instructions.

-Boris

Andrew Schultz

Mar 15, 2007, 7:21:34 AM3/15/07

Andrew Schultz

Mar 15, 2007, 7:25:38 AM3/15/07
angrez wrote:
> mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/fx-jssh
> mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
> ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
> ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,jssh,webservices
>
> When I run ./configure it gives error like this:

If you invoke "../configure" from fx-jssh, your object directory, it
should work.

But, as Boris said, you're better off following the build instructions.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Build_Documentation

angrez

Mar 15, 2007, 9:12:55 AM3/15/07
Thanks a lot for your reply ... I'll try building it again.
- Angrez

Christian Biesinger

Mar 15, 2007, 10:05:09 PM3/15/07
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Running ./configure doesn't look at .mozconfig. You should be using
> 'make -f client.mk build' instead. The build documentation is pretty
> clear about that, last I checked...

It does look at .mozconfig. It just doesn't look at the mk_add_options
options.

To get an objdir build without client.mk:
mkdir fx-jssh # or whatever name you want
cd fx-jssh
../configure

angrez

Mar 16, 2007, 1:15:38 AM3/16/07
Hi Boris,

I tried building Firefox again using "make -f client.mk build" but I got
following error this time:

configure.in : --enable-application=APP is required

My .mozconfig looks like this:

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/fx-jssh
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,jssh,webservices

--enable-application=browser is there. I don't know why this option is
not being picked up.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Angrez

Christian Biesinger

Mar 16, 2007, 8:22:48 AM3/16/07
angrez wrote:
> I tried building Firefox again using "make -f client.mk build" but I got
> following error this time:
>
> configure.in : --enable-application=APP is required

Sounds like it doesn't find your mozconfig. How did you name the file
and where did you put it?

angrez

Mar 16, 2007, 8:56:59 AM3/16/07
> Sounds like it doesn't find your mozconfig. How did you name the file
> and where did you put it?

my file name is .mozconfig and I placed it in "mozilla" directory.

- Angrez

angrez

Mar 19, 2007, 12:58:47 AM3/19/07

I tried building it again and while configuring and checking for the
necessary libraries for building it does output the following to the
console:

Adding options from .mozconfig:
--enable-application=browser
--enable-extensions=default,jssh,webservices.

Also the OBJDIR that I specify in the mozconfig file also gets created.
So I think its finding the .mozconfig file. But I don't have any clue
why it ends in the error like:

--enable-application=APP is required

Can anyone help me in this?

- Angrez

angrez

Mar 20, 2007, 4:44:06 AM3/20/07
Can anyone help me in building Firefox. I am still getting
--enable-application=APP is required.

Though my .mozconfig has following option:
mk_add_options --enable-application=browser

- Angrez

Bengt-Erik Söderström

Mar 20, 2007, 12:59:29 PM3/20/07
You will need these two lines in your .mozconfig

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser

L. David Baron

Mar 21, 2007, 1:41:37 AM3/21/07
to dev-g...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tuesday 2007-03-20 14:14 +0530, angrez wrote:
> Though my .mozconfig has following option:
> mk_add_options --enable-application=browser

You want to use ac_add_options (options for configure), not
mk_add_options (options for client.mk).

-David

--
L. David Baron <URL: http://dbaron.org/ >

angrez

Mar 21, 2007, 7:01:30 AM3/21/07
Hi David,

I think that was a typo, I do have ac_add_options
--enable-application=browser in my .mozconfig while. I'll check it again
though. But I am sure I have correct .mozconfig as I used the same for
building Firefox on Windows.

- Angrez

Christian Biesinger

Mar 22, 2007, 11:21:11 AM3/22/07
angrez wrote:
> Also the OBJDIR that I specify in the mozconfig file also gets created.
> So I think its finding the .mozconfig file. But I don't have any clue
> why it ends in the error like:
>
> --enable-application=APP is required

Perhaps your mozconfig file uses windows line-endings, while it should
use unix ones?

angrez

Mar 26, 2007, 1:43:34 AM3/26/07

Thanks Christian for pointing in right direction. It was indeed the
line-endings that was the problem.

I have one another question. I build Firefox with extension JSSh. Now
when I start the custom build Firefox with '-jssh' option it works fine.
But when I create 'XPI' and try it on another installation of Firefox
(Firefox 1.0.4), I get segmentation fault in 'run-mozilla.sh'.

The same process works fine in Windows i.e. compile Firefox, Create XPI
use on other Firefox installation.

Any helps will be appreciated here.

Regards,
Angrez