Computer Science Research Project

Danimal

Mar 14, 2007, 10:20:58 AM3/14/07
Hi all. Thanks for all of your work!

I am a graduate student in Computer Science. I have two research
projects starting next week. I am very fond of the Mozilla project
and wondered if there was a topic that I could research that may
contribute back to the Mozilla community. I enjoy programming as
well, but don't have any direct experience with the Moz code base. I
would be happy if my research involved some amount of coding or code
analysis.

I have two courses with research projects. The first course is a
standard Theory course (600 level). The second is a security class
(500 level). Each requires a paper and presentation. Here are
general topic concepts:

Theory: We are studying time complexity and turing machines. We
are using Sisper's book [and Gerry & Johnson but I prefer the idea of
languages (sip) rather than problems (g&j)].

Security: We have studied the first 4 chapters of Network Security
Essentials (Stallings). Includes SSL, PGP, S/MIME, block & stream
ciphers, public/private key, etc. etc.

I have 10 years of direct professional experience with Internet
technologies. I am very familiar with Mac, Linux, and Windows and use
them all on a daily basis, Windows because my employer makes me. :-)

Hope I can contribute in some way. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks,
Dannie