Software update can't be disabled?

Mike Cowperthwaite

Mar 9, 2007, 11:44:48 AM3/9/07
Last week, I was running a TB 2pre build and got a notice that an update
was available. I didn't particularly want it (I prefer to control which
builds I've got running on my own) but I let it install -- and got bit
by bug 372261, which made me even more disinclined to accept updates on
pre-release builds. But when I checked the Update settings in the
Options dialog, I found that the checkbox for "Automatically check
updates for Thunderbird" was unchecked. (The one for "Add-ons" *was*
checked, altho I just turned that off as well.) And when I ran 1.5.0.9,
it auto-updated to .0.10 -- which was OK, but the pref was still unchecked.

It's still unchecked, and I just got force-fed another 2pre update; at
least not blocking bugs this time. But why doesn't the pref setting
prevent this at all? Is this a TB-only problem, or does Firefox also
ignore the setting?

I know about app.update.channel, and the pre builds are, at least
currently, setting that to 'nightly'. I don't want to override this in
user.js with 'default' because, when I'm running an actual release
build, I would like automatic updates. I've also just found out how to
prevent the update from getting installed, but I really want to just
bypass the whole process when running pre-release builds.

Nelson Bolyard

Mar 10, 2007, 12:48:21 AM3/10/07

Put the update server's host name(s) into your etc/hosts file.
TB won't download updates if it can't connect to the server.
You can take it out when you're running release builds.
This is obviously far less than ideal, but it might solve the
immediate problem

/Nelson

Mike Cowperthwaite

Mar 10, 2007, 11:55:41 AM3/10/07
Nelson Bolyard wrote:
> Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
>> Last week, I was running a TB 2pre build and got a notice that an update
>> was available. I didn't particularly want it (I prefer to control which
>> builds I've got running on my own) but I let it install -- and got bit
>> by bug 372261, which made me even more disinclined to accept updates on
>> pre-release builds. But when I checked the Update settings in the
>> Options dialog, I found that the checkbox for "Automatically check
>> updates for Thunderbird" was unchecked. (The one for "Add-ons" *was*
>> checked, altho I just turned that off as well.) And when I ran 1.5.0.9,
>> it auto-updated to .0.10 -- which was OK, but the pref was still unchecked.

Scratch that on the 1.5 update issue -- I realized that I was running a
different profile when 1.5 updated.

>> It's still unchecked, and I just got force-fed another 2pre update; at
>> least not blocking bugs this time. But why doesn't the pref setting
>> prevent this at all? Is this a TB-only problem, or does Firefox also
>> ignore the setting?
>>
>> I know about app.update.channel, and the pre builds are, at least
>> currently, setting that to 'nightly'. I don't want to override this in
>> user.js with 'default' because, when I'm running an actual release
>> build, I would like automatic updates. I've also just found out how to
>> prevent the update from getting installed, but I really want to just
>> bypass the whole process when running pre-release builds.
>
> Put the update server's host name(s) into your etc/hosts file.
> TB won't download updates if it can't connect to the server.
> You can take it out when you're running release builds.
> This is obviously far less than ideal, but it might solve the
> immediate problem

Well, that sounds like a workaround. I was asking primarily to find out
if there's a bug here, or if I'm fundamentally not understanding the
mechanism.

David E. Ross

Mar 10, 2007, 1:23:35 PM3/10/07

How does that work when I use my Hosts file as a local DNS?

I have an application (FastNet99) where I can input selected obscure
domain names and it gets the current IP address. Once a day, I have
FastNet99 verify its list of domains, updating the IP addresses. If I
did as you suggested, I would then have to manually update Hosts to
change the IP addresses of domains I want to block.

One advance towards what Cowperthwaite (and other users) want would be
to reopen bug #300922 and fix TBird to allow users to cancel updates
during the download process.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Gervase Markham

Mar 12, 2007, 6:58:41 AM3/12/07
Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
> It's still unchecked, and I just got force-fed another 2pre update; at
> least not blocking bugs this time. But why doesn't the pref setting
> prevent this at all? Is this a TB-only problem, or does Firefox also
> ignore the setting?

I also have this problem; every day, it downloads a new Thunderbird even
though it knows it's incompatible with one of my extensions and I keep
telling it I'm not interested. And there's no UI way to turn it off. If
I hack about:config, I don't know the consequences of that.

Gerv