Websites for power monitoring

Jonathan Hylands

Sep 8, 2015, 2:02:56 PM9/8/15
to dev-b2g, dev-gaia

Hi everyone,

I'm building up a suite of automated tests that measure power consumption on FxOS phones while the phone is doing specific actions (recording video, playing music, idle, etc).

Right now I'm working on wifi-enabled testing, and specifically I'm looking for websites that I can direct the browser to that will keep pushing data to the phone over the span of a minute or two.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon

Gareth Aye

Sep 8, 2015, 2:15:35 PM9/8/15
to Jonathan Hylands, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-b2g

Go to taskcluster artifact index and download a build?

Jonathan Hylands

Sep 8, 2015, 2:33:23 PM9/8/15
to Gareth Aye, dev-gaia, dev-b2g
That sounds like an interesting idea - is there a specific URL you can give me?

Also, this needs to work from the public web, not on a VPN or behind a password-protected site.

- Jon

Jonas Sicking

Sep 8, 2015, 4:30:28 PM9/8/15
to Jonathan Hylands, dev-gaia, dev-b2g
If you are doing this as part of automated testing, then I believe
that most of our automated testsuites have a builtin webserver which
can run serverside logic. Should be easy to write a simple serverside
logic that just continuously serves endless content.

/ Jonas

Naoki Hirata

Sep 8, 2015, 5:07:15 PM9/8/15
to Jonas Sicking, dev-gaia, dev-b2g, Jonathan Hylands
Just to note, also that the update mar  and the blob free files are on the public side that don't require authentication.

https://tools.taskcluster.net/index/artifacts/#gecko.v2.mozilla-central.latest.b2g/gecko.v2.mozilla-central.latest.b2g.flame-kk-ota-debug

Jonathan Hylands

Sep 9, 2015, 8:27:52 AM9/9/15
to Naoki Hirata, dev-gaia, Jonas Sicking, dev-b2g
Do we have any larger files on taskcluster? The blob file, which is 166MB, takes about 50 seconds to download on my Flame, and I really want this to run for at least 60 seconds if possible.

- Jon

Eli Perelman

Sep 9, 2015, 9:42:37 AM9/9/15
to Jonathan Hylands, dev-b2g, dev-gaia, Jonas Sicking, Naoki Hirata
Along the lines of what Jonas said, as long as you can also host a simple server, you can stream content over HTTP until your requested time limit. As an example, here is a quick Node.js server you can run that will write content until 60 seconds have elapsed:

https://gist.github.com/eliperelman/5847d556e52bb5fd71c3

Eli Perelman

Jonathan Hylands

Sep 9, 2015, 3:00:49 PM9/9/15
to Eli Perelman, dev-b2g, dev-gaia, Jonas Sicking, Naoki Hirata
Thanks Eli, that worked great!

I'm also looking for a more "regular" website that once it is loaded, pushes new data to the browser every few seconds. Does anyone have any candidates? A news site maybe?

- Jon

Jonas Sicking

Sep 9, 2015, 3:08:45 PM9/9/15
to Jonathan Hylands, Naoki Hirata, dev-b2g, dev-gaia, Eli Perelman
Please be aware that we should rely on live websites during CI
testing. Internet connections and webservers aren't reliable enough
for something that's testing as often as our CI tests run.

So generally speaking you'll want to write your own server script to
handle things like this.

/ Jonas

Eli Perelman

Sep 9, 2015, 3:29:38 PM9/9/15
to Jonas Sicking, dev-gaia, dev-b2g, Jonathan Hylands, Naoki Hirata
Agreed, and not to mention that those websites can change at any time, changing the frequency or amount of data they push.

Eli