1.3 Sheriff

Preeti Raghunath

Nov 26, 2013, 4:06:28 PM11/26/13
to dev-gaia, b2g-internal, Faramarz Rashed, Fabrice Desré
Hi,

Please note that Fabrice will the release sheriff for release 1.3.

Last minute landing of features, patches which seem risky etc, will be triaged by Fabrice from a technical perspective.

Please do cooperate and heed to his advice.

Thanks,

Preeti.

Fabrice Desré

Nov 26, 2013, 5:43:05 PM11/26/13
to Preeti Raghunath, dev-gaia, b2g-internal, Faramarz Rashed, Fabrice Desré
All,

If you can't find me on IRC (i'll make sure to keep my status there
current, ie fabrice == I'm available, fabrice|afk == I'm not available)
please needinfo? me on the relevant bugs.

thanks!

Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desré
b2g team

Julien Wajsberg

Nov 26, 2013, 10:49:54 PM11/26/13
Le 26/11/2013 22:06, Preeti Raghunath a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Please note that Fabrice will the release sheriff for release 1.3.
>
> Last minute landing of features, patches which seem risky etc, will be triaged by Fabrice from a technical perspective.
>
> Please do cooperate and heed to his advice.

Hey,

I'd like things to be clearer here. What are the rules for the last week
before branching (next week)?

* when will things be triaged by Fabrice? Will Fabrice triage 1.3?
requests? What about existing 1.3+ bugs then?
* we should not land anything that is not 1.3+, except approved by
fabrice ? (like bb+ last year)
* we should not land anything that has not been approved by fabrice at all?
* Different rules for Gaia and Gecko?

Please provide more explanation :)

Thanks!
--
Julien

signature.asc

Julien Wajsberg

Nov 27, 2013, 10:45:12 PM11/27/13
to Preeti Raghunath, dev-gaia, b2g-internal, Faramarz Rashed, Fabrice Desré
Hi Preeti, Fabrice, others,

I'd really want answers to these questions. This is a too important
topic to stay vague and blurry.

Thanks,
--
Julien

signature.asc

Fabrice Desré

Nov 27, 2013, 11:58:23 PM11/27/13
to Julien Wajsberg, Preeti Raghunath, dev-gaia, b2g-internal, Faramarz Rashed, Fabrice Desré
Hi Julien,

On 11/26/2013 07:49 PM, Julien Wajsberg wrote:
> I'd like things to be clearer here. What are the rules for the last week
> before branching (next week)?
>
> * when will things be triaged by Fabrice? Will Fabrice triage 1.3?
> requests? What about existing 1.3+ bugs then?

I won't triage. Triage is there do decide "do we want something?". My
role is to decide "can we ship something?".

> * we should not land anything that is not 1.3+, except approved by
> fabrice ? (like bb+ last year)
> * we should not land anything that has not been approved by fabrice at all?

The sheriffing applies mostly to feature work, not to usual bug fixes -
unless they are potentially destabilizing, like a big refactoring.

> * Different rules for Gaia and Gecko?

No, Gaia & Gecko all together.

Overall, my role as a sheriff is to take a decision. I'll base that as
much as possible on concrete data to evaluate the risk (in no particular
order):
- is the code fairly isolated? ("I want to refactor the RIL worker"
would not pass).
- has this code caused churn or pain before?
- is it easy to turn the feature off?
- do we have good test coverage?
- do we have good QA coverage, ie in smoketests?
- do we have strong partner expectations for the feature?

Feel free to ping me on irc if I'm not afk, to needinfo me on any bug
that needs to sheriffed, and email in last resort!

Let me know if this is not clear enough.

Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desr�
b2g team

Julien Wajsberg

Nov 28, 2013, 2:25:32 AM11/28/13
to Fabrice Desré, Preeti Raghunath, dev-gaia, b2g-internal, Faramarz Rashed, Fabrice Desré
Hey,

Thanks for the answer, that's helpful!
I still don't exactly get whether we need you to say 'yes' before we
land an otherwise ready 1.3 feature next week, or if that will happen
only if you're asked about it on the bug (or IRC or whatever).

Will we have to use "a=fabrice" on commits for such commits ?

Thanks,
--
Julien

signature.asc

Fabrice Desré

Nov 28, 2013, 2:33:01 AM11/28/13
On 11/27/2013 11:25 PM, Julien Wajsberg wrote:

> I still don't exactly get whether we need you to say 'yes' before we
> land an otherwise ready 1.3 feature next week, or if that will happen
> only if you're asked about it on the bug (or IRC or whatever).
>
> Will we have to use "a=fabrice" on commits for such commits ?

Yes, you need approval from me for any feature work landing, or large
bug fixes.