Backup of Firefox OS 2 through “adb”

21n...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2018, 6:29:24 AM8/13/18
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

I have two identical device models with Firefox OS 2. My objective is to
copy the content from one to the other.

I found someone who wrote steps in this objective through “adb”:
https://github.com/orangecms/alcatel-6015x#backup-procedure

I am able to perform the instructions mentioned, but:
– I do not know if these instructions are right;
– if these instructions are right, I do not know if the result of these
instructions is a partial or a full backup of a device.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards.

Eduardo Trápani

Aug 14, 2018, 12:50:57 PM8/14/18
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
> I have two identical device models with Firefox OS 2. My objective is to
> copy the content from one to the other.
>
> I found someone who wrote steps in this objective through “adb”:
> https://github.com/orangecms/alcatel-6015x#backup-procedure

It looks good. I don't know if that's the full list of partitions though.

Anyway, if the receiving phone already has the system, maybe you just
have to copy userdata and cache (or clean cache). The "internal" sdcard
can be copied this way, but the external one might not have the same
size, so I would copy it on a PC (I'm guessing here, I guess there is an
internal and a external one).

I would also avoid copying 'boot' and specially 'firmware'.

> I am able to perform the instructions mentioned, but:
> – I do not know if these instructions are right;
> – if these instructions are right, I do not know if the result of these
> instructions is a partial or a full backup of a device.

It looks pretty complete to me, like a full copy

Alexandre Lissy

Aug 14, 2018, 2:05:58 PM8/14/18
to 21n...@gmail.com, dev-fxos
Hello,

That should work, though, make sure you have enough space on the device sdcard0, as this will copy full device partitions. It also requires the exact same hardware.

Hello,

I have two identical device models with Firefox OS 2. My objective is to copy the content from one to the other.

I found someone who wrote steps in this objective through “adb”:
https://github.com/orangecms/alcatel-6015x#backup-procedure

I am able to perform the instructions mentioned, but:
– I do not know if these instructions are right;
– if these instructions are right, I do not know if the result of these instructions is a partial or a full backup of a device.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards.

21n...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2018, 5:57:00 PM8/21/18
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
NOTE:
My objective is achieved in this message.

Le 13/08/2018 à 14:37, Alexandre Lissy a écrit :

> That should work, though, make sure you have enough space on the
> device sdcard0, as this will copy full device partitions.
Yes, thank you for the reminder.

Le 13/08/2018 à 14:57, Eduardo Trápani a écrit :
> I would also avoid copying 'boot' and specially 'firmware'.
I noted.

After I had performed the steps “Backup Procedure” and “Backup
Download”, I flashed the file “system.img” to the other device, but it
failed—I replaced the numbers with the word “NUMBER” in the following
quotation:
> fastboot flash system system.img
> target reported max download size of NUMBER bytes
> Invalid sparse file format at header magi
> erasing 'system'...
> OKAY [  NUMBER]
> sending sparse 'system' 1/2 (NUMBER KB)...
> OKAY [ NUMBER]
> writing 'system' 1/2...
> FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
> finished. total time: NUMBER
Then I executed the command “fastboot reboot”. The device is bricked.
I tried again and flashed the files “persist.img”, “boot.img” and
“firmware.img”:
→ still failed and bricked.
I tried some then all commands with “sudo” outside the shell of “adb”:
→ still failed and bricked.

Then, I saw “backup and restore” from the available ClockworkMod
recovery image booted by the command “sudo fastboot boot
custom/recovery.img”—which is a command he mentioned, so I tried this
option. Here are the steps I performed:
1) I started the device to backup into the bootloader.
2) I executed the previously mentioned command “sudo fastboot boot
custom/recovery.img”.
3) After the device had displayed a list of choices, I selected “backup
and restore”, then “backup to /external_sd”.
→ it is mentioned the backup of “boot image”, “recovery image”,
“system”, “data”, “.android_secure” if existing, and “cache”
4) After the last disappeared list of choices had been reappeared—which
means the backup is finished, I selected “+++++Go Back+++++”, then
“reboot system now”.
5) The device displayed “Root access possibly lost. Fix? THIS CAN NOT BE
UNDONE”, I chose the default selection “No”. After the device had
rebooted, I requested it to power off.
6) I pulled the external SD card out to put it into the other device,
then I started the device into the bootloader.
7) I performed the step “2)”.
8) After the device had displayed a list of choices, I selected “backup
and restore”, then “restore from /external_sd”.
9) I selected the date to which I started the backup, then “Yes”.
→ the restoration of “cache” failed, so, before the step “3)” of my new
try, I selected “wipe cache partition”, and the restoration of “cache”
succeeded
10) After the last disappeared list of choices had been reappeared—which
means the restoration is finished, I selected “+++++Go Back+++++”, then
“reboot system now”. I performed the step “5)” to finish.

For information, here is the “recovery filesystem table” from the file
“clockworkmod/backup/NUMBER/recovery.log” written into the external SD card:
> 0 /system ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system 0
> 1 /cache ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/cache 0
> 2 /data ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata 0
> 3 /external_sd vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 0
> 4 /boot emmc /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot 0
> 5 /recovery emmc /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery 0
> 6 /custpack ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/custpack 0
> 7 /misc emmc /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc 0
> 8 /tmp ramdisk ramdisk 0

It seems all the preferences and application data had been restored,
which achieved my objective.

I checked if the files “persist.img” and “custpack.img” contained
preferences and application data (for example I added a Firefox
bookmark, rebooted the device, performed the steps to backup the
“persist” and “custpack” partitions through “adb”, removed the Firefox
bookmark, rebooted the device into the bootloader to flash these two
files). It seems it is not the case.

About the main mentioned error I encountered when I tried to backup and
restore through “adb”, I searched a little without finding a real
solution. I preferred to stop since the “backup and restore” of the
available ClockworkMod recovery image works.

Backup and restore through the bootloader is very probably the best
option to properly backup and restore a device since the operating
system contained in it is not started as opposed to backup through “adb”.

Thank you for your messages!