Re: How to contribute or develop Firefox OS?

Matth

Apr 18, 2017, 8:25:14 AM4/18/17
to Leonardo Souza, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello Leonardo,

Effectively FirefoxOS has be discontinued by Mozilla, but if you still want to look at this OS you have several options anyway:

You can find the code here which is stored under B2G OS , on which Firefox OS is based.

https://github.com/mozilla-b2g

Mainly,Gaia is the graphical part and B2G is the OS part

Also B2G still has a community which is working on finding a way to keep this OS alive, you can join the community in Telegram here https://telegram.me/B2GOS or in irc here at #b2g (if you don't here is how to connect to Mozilla irc )

This project is at it's very beginning and aim to propose a long standing solution for a web oriented OS some reading if you are interested in:
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/re-create-b2g-based-on-android/11114

Finally there is AstianOS which is a fork of B2GOS you can find the source here https://github.com/Astianos

This is my personal view on the subject, I'm trying to be the most objective and concise has possible to give you an overview of the situation, so you can choose what best fits you wishes.

The main difference between B2G and AstianOS:

B2G: don't plan to keep the kernel part of B2GOS it's consider to big to maintain, and it has also a small hardware support so the current plan is to rebase it on android and create a web interface on top of it. So Android is for the hardware support and large community support which secure the development on this part.

  Pros: taking all the advantage of re-using AOSP (Android Open Source)
  Cons: The first step is quite high to implement the proper web rendering engine with AOSP without too much perf impact and loosing functionality.

AstianOS: basicaly a pure clone of B2GOS/FireFoxOS, so everything you know about FFOS but with a new logo.

  Pros: With the current supported hardware straightforward to use and hack
  cons: small hardware support, based on quite old technology now, Gecko 48 and Gonk , so in long term it may be difficult to maintain and more open to security risk.

Both are community project that you are welcome to join if you wish to hack around !

Kindly

Matthieu.

Hello,

I am a Brazilian student, I am always in search of new knowledge and I always had a dream to understand how an operating system works. I was fascinated by Firefox OS, because it was done with javascript, sorry it was discontinued.

But I want to know if there is a possibility that I can study it, see how it works and continue it, changing the focus a bit, because I am very curious about it.

I researched, I did not find much about downloading the source code and changing it, could you help me with that? It would be helping me a lot to start a dream.

Thank you in advance, excuse my weak English.

Leonardo Vilarinho

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Faheem Ahmad

Apr 22, 2017, 8:51:30 AM4/22/17
to Matth, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Leonardo Souza
how much we have to wait???? cant you people start a kickstarter campaign or make  an android app say launcher to start your campaign with>?

Matthieu Ducorps

Apr 22, 2017, 11:03:12 AM4/22/17
to Faheem Ahmad, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Leonardo Souza
Hello Faheem,

This is a community project today, so everybody involved is contributing on his free time , so it's not that easy to deliver a new OS more over if you want to build something solid.
Also the number of people with the enough knowledge to design this is quite limited for all this reason it takes time.
As per a Kickstarter, you don't raise money that easily and you have to be structure enough to deliver what you promised, today B2G is back to a very early stage where we are validating the proper design on which we we can build on.

Finally if you very impatient to see something don't hesitate to join the community help out we would very happy to have you on board !

Kindly

Matthieu

Faheem Ahmad

Apr 29, 2017, 4:10:14 AM4/29/17
to Matthieu Ducorps, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Leonardo Souza
THANKS FOR CLEARING OUT!! I WOULD REALLY HELP IF I HAD SOFTWARE SKILSS(PROGRAMMING)
AND ONE MORE THING...IN FUTURE I DO HOPE FIREOS SHOULD COME TO KICKSTARTER AS REMIX OS CAME WITH ITS TBALET AND THEN WITH ITS REMIX IO AND FIREFOX SHOULD DO TO AND THEY SHOULD ALSO TAKE SOME FEATURES FOR UBUNTU OS TOO

madb...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2017, 1:06:20 PM10/25/17
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

I'm a Mozilla and Firefox fan and I've come back to Firefox OS recently. I'd really like to help with the development of B2G OS, even though my programming is poor I can help with testing, documentation, coordination, etc.

I've posted several times now in the B2G discourse and have had very few replies. I know everyone's volunteering on this now and spare time is a scarce and valuable resource, but the silence in that discourse is almost deafening.

Am I posting in the wrong place? This mailing list hardly seems more lively. I've dipped into IRC but nobody's been chatting - granted, I haven't said hello yet either, I guess I'm a bit shy of a live chat situation given I'm totally new to the scene. Is Telegram where it's at?

Let me know how and I'll join in and help, otherwise I can't.

I'm optimistic!
Cheers :)

Chan Ju Ping

Oct 27, 2017, 9:19:18 AM10/27/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi. Unfortunately this project is dead. So that explains the lack of responses
you are experiencing.

I would recommend finding another project to work on with more active
contributors.
signature.asc

madb...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2017, 11:03:19 AM10/27/17
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,
Thanks for the enthusiastic response ;)
Well, I've had positive replies from people by email, on discourse and on IRC, so the project is not dead, it's just very slow burning :D
Maybe I'll just get one of the devices for which a build exists and start playing around with it.
Cheers.

Chan Ju Ping

Oct 27, 2017, 12:26:50 PM10/27/17
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
On Friday, 27 October 2017 23:03:10 +08 madb...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the enthusiastic response ;)
> Well, I've had positive replies from people by email, on discourse and on
> IRC, so the project is not dead, it's just very slow burning :D Maybe I'll
> just get one of the devices for which a build exists and start playing
> around with it. Cheers.

I wish you luck in your endeavour.

I have an Open C that is no longer being used because the OS is no longer
being updated. If you want it, I can mail it to you. Obviously, we should take
the discussions of your mailing address off-list.
signature.asc