Can't load xpcom component under Gecko 1.9

Chad Seldomridge

Dec 20, 2007, 4:10:31 PM12/20/07
I have a C++ xpcom component currently working under Gecko 1.8/Firefox2.
The component is accessed via javascript (xpconnect). I am running Mac OS X.

I am trying to move the component over to Gecko 1.9/Firefox3.

I get the error "Components.classes[cid] is undefined" when I try to access
the component from my javascript.

If I build Firefox from source with --enable-debug, the component works.
If I build Firefox from source as a release, or use the public release, the
component does not work.

Oddly, Firefox3 with --enable-debug works even when I load the old
version of
my component which is compiled against the Gecko 1.8 sdk.

I have put together a simple hello-world app based on the tutorial from
Alex Sirota.
This Xcode project demonstrates how the component works under 1.8, but
not under 1.9.

http://dev.monksw.com/sharedFiles/

Perhaps my 1.9 SDK is the problem. I built it from the seamonkey suite
source.
Is there an 'official' Gecko 1.9 SDK available?
All the SDKs from ftp.mozilla.org for the past month or so are missing
libxpcom_core.dylib.
Is a problem with the SDK or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Chad S.
Monk Software

Benjamin Smedberg

Dec 20, 2007, 4:39:13 PM12/20/07
Chad Seldomridge wrote:

> Perhaps my 1.9 SDK is the problem. I built it from the seamonkey suite
> source.
> Is there an 'official' Gecko 1.9 SDK available?
> All the SDKs from ftp.mozilla.org for the past month or so are missing
> libxpcom_core.dylib.
> Is a problem with the SDK or am I misunderstanding something?

You shouldn't be linking with libxpcom_core. That library only exists when
libxul is disabled (it's enabled in release builds). You should be using
frozen (dependent) linkage as documented at
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XPCOM_Glue

--BDS

Chad Seldomridge

Dec 20, 2007, 6:05:25 PM12/20/07

Thank You! You have no idea how much time I wasted on this problem. That
fixed it :)