Gradual roll out of RDM <meta viewport>

Patrick Brosset

Jan 24, 2020, 3:00:23 AM1/24/20
to Firefox Layout Tools, dev-developer-tools
Hi team,

Just a quick update to say that <meta viewport> handling in RDM (meta bug) is being rolled-out to all of our users in Firefox 72. In 1 week from now, 100% of users of 72 will have the pref for this feature ON, and will be using it should they open RDM.

Over the 72 beta period and now the roll-out period in release, we have received a total of 0 bugs that indicated instability of the feature. This is great news!

As a reminder, we attempted to turn this on last year, but it caused a whole lot of bugs then. So we rolled it back, and went back to work on an extensive project aimed at fixing all of the underlying issues.

So I'm really proud of the team (Brad and Micah) for having spent the time and effort in understanding the issues and fixing them so diligently.

A special thanks to Brad for being our expert in layout, graphics and viewport platform code and getting to the bottom of some of the most complicated problems involved!

This is a big milestone for RDM as it makes this tool much closer to how actual mobile devices actually render websites.

Thanks to everyone involved.
Patrick