Ember Inspector extension ported from Chrome to Firefox DevTools

Luca Greco

Sep 3, 2013, 10:43:57 AM9/3/13
to dev-developer-tools
Hi all,

This time I’m not posting a new experiment on my favorite topic (Mozilla
Remote Debugger Protocol :-P), this is an experimental port of about what I
think will be a common devtool pattern for Javascript Framework developers:

integrate into devtools a custom panel to inspect important framework
components in the devtool target tab, developed by the framework developers
using the same framework.

When I heard about the Ember Inspector chrome devtools extension, I could
not resist the temptation to look into it and evaluate how this kind of
pattern could be implemented using the current Firefox Devtools API.

After a rapid evaluation of the ember-extension code, which is very well
written, I tried to port it to Firefox in an afternoon (because it was a
really boring sunday :-P):

- demo screencast: http://youtu.be/qYCL4HOtddY

- experimental XPI build: http://ubik.cc/projects/ember-inspector.xpi

- Firefox port changes from my forked repo:
https://github.com/rpl/ember-extension/compare/experimental;firefox_devtools_addon

I hope it could be useful to other developers (and that it will help to
highlight how these custom devtools could be developed on Firefox)

Happy hacking,

Luca
--
Luca Greco @ Alca Società Cooperativa