Profile Management on Device?

Naoki Hirata

Sep 3, 2015, 5:10:23 PM9/3/15
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-b2g
I think it would help out if we had some sort of profile management where all profile information was stored in a certain directory much like the Desktop version of Firefox.

This way we can easily backup and restore profiles for all sorts of things.

The other thing that this would allow is we could encrypt a profile so that it's locked down even on device.

Why an end user might want this is that if they let their kid use the device, they might have a "kid gaming mode" versus "work mode" versus "personal use mode"

Would this be a feasible feature for the next version? (not 2.5)  It might take a bit of work, at the same time, I think it would greatly help in various ways including backup/restore of profiles for testing.

Jonas Sicking

Sep 3, 2015, 6:32:35 PM9/3/15
to Naoki Hirata, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-b2g
We debated various features like "kid mode" and "work mode" recently.
But I think the features fell off the radar.

I definitely think it would be cool to support though. There's a
number of cool things that we could do. Such as

* Enable a "guest mode" where you can hand the phone to a friend
without enabling the friend to access any of your personal data, and
where all the guest data is deleted as soon as you exit guest mode.
* Enable using that guest mode even on a locked device (would require
the user to enable this of course).
* Enable having multiple "copies" of a given app for different
profiles. I.e. the user can have an icon for "work gmail" and another
for "personal gmail" and run the two side-by-side. We'll have to think
about exactly how this will work given that we're moving to a "no
apps" world. But it should still be very doable.

I'm not sure if the best way to implement this is using Gecko
profiles. The problem with that is that we can't run multiple profiles
at once, which means that you have to shut down and restart Gecko any
time you want to use a different profile.

Another option is to leverage the "cookie jar" support that we already
have and which we are improving as part of the nsec work.

/ Jonas

Joe Cheng

Sep 3, 2015, 6:46:17 PM9/3/15
to Jonas Sicking, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-b2g, Naoki Hirata
this is a feature that can also have interesting use cases for Smart TVs where TVs can often be a shared device within the family. One can have a more personalized TV setup or recommended contents without other people's usage screwing up one's recommended contents

Re,
Joe Cheng
Mozilla Corp.
jch...@mozilla.com