Running Thunderbird in Tor?

asdc.ent...@gmail.com

May 9, 2020, 9:38:14 AM5/9/20
I have a client enduring a years-long electronic stalking situation, I wanted to run TB in Tor to make his mail traffic invisible to any outsiders.

I understand it is very difficult, if possible at all anymore, to do this and I have already found incompatibility flags.

Is Thunderbird secure enough on it's own, comparable to using Tor to access Yahoo, or forwarding everything to Proton mail, to bring in his four existing Yahoo accounts?

____________________________________

End 2 End invisibility to any snooper is the goal!

Bruce Hinton

Michael Garibaldi

May 11, 2020, 5:06:59 AM5/11/20
asdc.ent...@gmail.com wrote in
As you've realised, this is a complex question so I'll break my answer down in to
parts.

1) Thunderbird will not work via Tor (the web browser), you/they would need to
run a Tor proxy to secure the link.

2) Thunderbird is an email client and no more or less secure than any other
up-to-date email client. Emails are not stored encrypted on the computer and
passwords aren't protected unless a master password is used.

3) Thunderbird connecting to an email server CAN BE very secure if the email
server supports the necessary protocols. Thunderbird supports SSL/TLS, STARTTLS
and OAuth2 so, if the server supports them, the communication can be very secure
but this won't hide the IP of your client.

Depending on the sophistication of the stalker, a VPN service might be a
better/easier option as all of the traffic is sent over an encrypted link to a
server elsewhere (locations depend on the VPN service being used) and then on to
the destination server.

This means that a person could be in the US, have a VPN connection to Germany,
and all of the traffic for Thunderbird (encrypted or not) would appear to come
from Germany.

I hope this helps you and, anyway, I hope the stalker gets caught and tossed in
jail.