Multiple strange startup issues on Mac

Wayne

Sep 26, 2020, 11:50:43 AM9/26/20

I'm working with a Mac user with problem which is item #1 below. As we dug in, we discover additional, strange issues.

I'm seeking help to understand why 2-4 might be happening, ultimately so I can solve #1.  We have no desire to create a new profile - we want to diagnose and solve the underlying issue.

1. Launching TB normally shows a blank screen, which is hung. Safe mode doesn't help.

2. Starting TB from Mac terminal works around #1 above - we get a running, functional TB instance. (same profile as #1)

3. Starting TB from Mac terminal ignores the command line switches -P and -jsconsole - no profile manager and no error console is shown

4. Starting TB from Mac terminal for some reason fails to show the console and its activity - the super detailed list of TB things happening in the background

No idea why, and frankly not even a potential theory as to why, any of those are happening.

Throw out some ideas please.

Thanks

ISHIKAWA, Chiaki

Sep 29, 2020, 5:50:06 AM9/29/20
You obviously reinstalled the binary already, correct?

Item 4 rings a bell, but I can't recall exactly what it was in the last
10 years or so.

BTW, if I start locally built TB for testing on my local linux PC,
detailed output that is thrown to "stderr" is shown in the original
terminal window where I start TB binary from command line (shell).

However, things get a bit tricky regarding error messages that are
output by the X-related libraries linked from TB binary itself.
They are, under my setup, sent to ".xsession-errors" file under my home
directory. Actually, this file contains messages from all the X clients
including system supplied GUI tools and others.
(I think this setup is related to how a particular window manager I use
is invoked by xdm or other login manager. So it may not be the situation
on a Mac. X allows so much flexibility and I am not even sure if the
similar setup is followed under other linux distributions such as Fedora
or Centos.)

I am not familiar with Mac, but I bet it does run X windows.(X + Carbon
something.).
So the cause of the bug might as well be corrupt X lib or something.
Do other applications run healthily on the same Mac?

Or the entry in the menu of Mac's window system from which you click and
start TB gets corrupted.

Chiaki