Moving discussion to new location

Wayne Mery

Mar 29, 2021, 4:25:22 PM3/29/21
to dev-apps-thunderbird
Greetings contributors.

This mailing list will be retired in just a few days.  The replacement,
Thunderbird Developers, is a new group at
https://discuss.thunderbird.net/ <https://discuss.thunderbird.net/>where
Thunderbird is consolidating all communications.You can join the new
group today and begin posting. You must join before you can post. You
can see descriptions of all available groups, and join those that
interest you, at https://discuss.thunderbird.net/groups/_tojoin
<https://discuss.thunderbird.net/groups/_tojoin>. Please read the
developer list's description, and notice that it has no engineering
council focus - product strategy and the like is something that would
best be posted to the Thunderbird Planning group.

For over a year we have been running several groups successfully on
Topicbox and are very satisfied with the service. In Topicbox a
discussion area is called a “group”, and each group works like a mailing
list.  In fact, Topicbox’s slogan is “Group email for teams”, so by
default you receive emails of all posts to the group, and you can also
reply by email. But if you prefer, you can use the web -
https://discuss.thunderbird.net/latest
<https://discuss.thunderbird.net/latest>is one useful view.

It is easy for you to control the messages you get in your inbox, using
manage your settings under Delivery Optionson the main group page.  For
more information check out theTopicbox Getting Started Guide
<https://www.topicbox.help/hc/en-us/categories/360005568513-Getting-started>.

Will Mische

Apr 1, 2021, 8:16:51 AM4/1/21
to dev-apps-thunderbird, Berna Alp
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:25:11 -0400
Wayne Mery <vsee...@lehigh.edu> wrote:

> Greetings contributors.
>
> This mailing list will be retired in just a few days.

Email application discussion group stops using email for discussions and
moves to inconvenient junk filled spyware nonsense in a web browser.

And this is meant to be progress.

A precis of the mess that is Thunderbird.

<waves goodbye>

Wayne Mery

Apr 1, 2021, 8:37:05 AM4/1/21
to dev-apps-thunderbird, Will Mische, Berna Alp
On 4/1/21 8:16 AM, Will Mische wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:25:11 -0400
> Wayne Mery <vsee...@lehigh.edu> wrote:
>
>> Greetings contributors.
>>
>> This mailing list will be retired in just a few days.
> Email application discussion group stops using email for discussions and
> moves to inconvenient junk filled spyware nonsense in a web browser.

Just to be clear for others ...

No, Thunderbird isn't stopping email for discussions. And Thunderbird
isn't using what Mozilla is doing with their mailing lists.  Perhaps you
are distracted by Topicbox's web pages?

First and foremost, Topicbox is a provider of MAILING LISTS.

And Topicbox is better than mailman. You don't need to set and remember
a password.  It also has a unified UI for all mailing lists - not
multiple web pages, one per mailing list.

No idea why you think there is spyware on Topicbox.  In fact, we expect
for fewer spam addresses subscribed to the new groups than are currently
subscribed to existing mailing lists.  And Fastmail, which provides
Topicbox, is a highly respected company.  Here is the privacy policy
https://www.fastmail.com/about/privacy/ cited at
https://www.topicbox.com/terms-of-service