Release schedule for Thunderbird 3 beta2 ... and other stuff

Simon Paquet

Jan 19, 2009, 3:52:52 PM1/19/09
Hi guys,

happy new year to everyone!

I know that I've been awfully quiet on the state of things in the
Thunderbird world. I'm sorry for that. I was trying to nail down some
stuff (release scheduling, website l10n story of which I will talk more
in a later post), which took longer than anticipated.

I want to inform you about our release schedule for the upcoming
Thunderbird releases.

* First of all the dates for the upcoming Thunderbird beta2 release:

- Slushy string freeze: January 29th (Thursday)
- Slushy code freeze: February 3rd (Tuesday)
- Firm code/string freeze: February 5th (Thursday)
- l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze: February 8th (Sunday)
- Gozer starts the builds: February 9th (Monday)

We've tried to emulate what the Firefox devs did for their beta2
release, as we got the impression that this worked pretty well.

The idea is to have all string-related work done by the slushy
string freeze date and all other code-related work plus the
late-string work by the slushy code freeze date. Late string
changes will require an additional approval by our TB3 beta2
release driver Bryan Clark (clarkbw on IRC).

The firm freeze date would be for fixing remaining bugs and
regressions found in the nightlies and the l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 date
would be the last time by which we would accept changes in
localizations.

* We know that this is a tough schedule and that this announcement
comes pretty late. Therefore if significant objections are raised
by you, we will reconsider this schedule and will discuss, whether
this warrants a pushback of this schedule by one week.

* Thunderbird drivers have also evaluated the current state of things
and have decided to add another beta release (beta3) to the release
schedule. A firm decision on a release date has not yet been made,
but it is probably safe to say, that beta3 will be released
somewhere between the end of March and the end of April.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
respond here in this thread.

Cya
Simon
--
Thunderbird/Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Thunderbird l10n blog: http://thunderbird-l10n.blogspot.com