Kill-filing threads

Daniel

Apr 1, 2021, 5:28:35 AM4/1/21
Note: Follow-up set to m.d.a.seamonkey

In one of my UseNet groups, a couple of the contributors make some
useful posts (so I don't want to totally Kill-file those posters) AND
they make a lot (90%, maybe) of useless posts, i.e. SPAM, usually in
specific threads.

For example, maybe, last year Poster A might have made a post announcing
that that day was someone's birthday to which Poster B would respond
that 'we' don't give a damn and to shut up. Then, this year, Poster A
would make the same announcement, WITH THE SAME SUBJECT:, so that post
joins on to the original THREAD (assuming I have 'Threads with Unread'
View selected) ... and Poster B will make their same reply.

And next year, I'm betting the same thing will happen ... and so on and
so on and so on.

I initially though by pressing 'k' or 'K', I would kill-file that
thread, but all that does is 'Make as Read' those posts in that thread
NOW. Any new posts under that same Subject: (next day, next year,
whenever) will still appear as 'Unread' in that thread.

When I asked about this problem in m.s.seamonkey, I was advised to try
'Ctrl-K' and on 'Shift-K', the former to, apparently, Kill-file the
entire thread forever (or until the newsgroup is completely re-loaded)
whilst the later would Kill-file that branch ('twig') of the thread but
leave the rest of the thread untouched!

Using Shift-K seems to work on the 'twig'. Pressing Shift-K marks this
sub-ordinate message and any messages sub-ordinate to it as well as read
and the cursor moves on to the next unread message in the next 'twig' or
the next thread.

Using Ctrl-K seems totally ineffective with the Cursor remaining on the
message I had just selected

"No problem", I thought, "when I want to totally kill-file a thread
forever, I'll just go back and select the Root post in the thread and
then press Shift-K and, hopefully, that would Kill-file the entire
thread" ..... and this sort of works except, if there were any other
un-read posts in that thread, they are marked as read as desired (in
fact they disappear from view, even though the rest of the thread
structure remains visible) but there is still a number in the 'Unread"
messages column (in the Threads Pane) indicating there are invisible
unread messages in the thread.

Is this a SeaMonkey code problem or is it really a problem in the
Thunderbird code??

If I select 'Shift-K' I would expect that sub-thread to disappear
(forever) from view, any adjustment to the 'Unread' message number and
total newsgroup Unread messages number as required and the Cursor to
move to the next unread message.

If I select 'Ctrl-K' I would expect that entire thread to disappear
(forever) from view, any adjustment total newsgroup Unread messages
number (in the Accounts Pane) as required and the Cursor to move to the
next unread message (i.e. next thread).
--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210117210643

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210118013008

Paul in Houston, TX

Apr 1, 2021, 8:09:58 PM4/1/21
What happens when you use plain k ?
I only use plain k and never see that thread again or any parts of it
unless someone changes the subject slightly... but then its a new
thread. I have used plain k for years and don't experience the issues
that you are having. Wonder if something, somewhere, in SM is broken?
Ahhh.... what is the news server?
I use eternal-sept. That may make a difference.

Daniel

Apr 2, 2021, 2:19:11 AM4/2/21
Paul in Houston, TX wrote on 2/4/21 11:09 am:
As I posted above .... "I initially though by pressing 'k' or 'K', I
would kill-file that thread, but all that does is 'Make as Read' those
posts in that thread NOW. Any new posts under that same Subject: (next
day, next year, whenever) will still appear as 'Unread' in that thread."

So not what I want.

> I only use plain k and never see that thread again or any parts of it
> unless someone changes the subject slightly... but then its a new
> thread.

Not for me, unfortunately!! If 'they' use the same Subject: tomorrow,
next month, whatever, the old thread is 'revived' with the new post
attached.

> I have used plain k for years and don't experience the issues
> that you are having.  Wonder if something, somewhere, in SM is broken?

Happens for both my Win7 and Linux installations of, now, SM 2.53.6, as
shown in sig file.

> Ahhh.... what is the news server?
> I use eternal-sept.  That may make a difference.

Bingo!! Eternal-September as well!! ;-( But, in testing that I did in
moz.test on this news.mozilla.org server, the results were the same!!

David E. Ross

Apr 2, 2021, 11:08:49 AM4/2/21
[View > Threads] Then, uncheck Ignored Threads.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

While a "vaccination passport" to prove someone has been
vaccinated against COVID-19 seems to be a good idea, most
concepts involve smart phones. What about those of us
who have been vaccinated but do not have a smart phone?

Daniel

Apr 2, 2021, 8:52:40 PM4/2/21
David E. Ross wrote on 3/4/21 2:08 am:
Thanks for the suggestion, David but I usually just have "Threads with
Unread" selected there ... but I'll check.