SeaMonkey 2.53.8 has been released!

Don Spam's Reckless Son

Jun 30, 2021, 6:26:52 AM6/30/21
Greetings,

The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
2.53.8.

So please check out [1] or [2].

Thanks to all involved.

Links:
[1] - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.53.8
[2] - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.8/

(this message copied and adapted from Job Bautista's post on
alt.comp.software.seamonkey )

Steve Wendt

Jun 30, 2021, 2:32:34 PM6/30/21
On 6/30/2021 3:26 AM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
> 2.53.8.

One thing I've noticed is that pressing 'm' no longer toggles the read
status; you have to press 'shift+m' to toggle to unread.

Seems related to this:
Improve marking of multiple messages as read / unread bug 1700530.

Gerry Hickman

Jul 4, 2021, 11:52:08 AM7/4/21
Innstalled 2.53.8.

The release notes has mention of clearing private data.

I just tried to clear "offline website data" from within Seamonkey, but
it still isn't working.

In my profile I see folders that look like this, with many old files
inside...

storage
default
permanent
temporary
--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Migration

Jul 5, 2021, 7:59:08 AM7/5/21
With the impending demise of the news.mozilla.org server, most of the
support people have decamped to the new Newsgroup
alt.comp.software.seamonkey which is not hosted on this server.

There are a number of ways of reading and posting there, I use
nntp.aioe.org but most other News servers will also carry the group.
Most of them also carry these two news.mozilla.org groups but without
the ability to post messages.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

Gerry Hickman

Jul 5, 2021, 9:24:15 AM7/5/21
Migration wrote:
> There are a number of ways of reading and posting there, I use
> nntp.aioe.org but most other News servers will also carry the group.
> Most of them also carry these two news.mozilla.org groups but without
> the ability to post messages.

Thanks, I was able to use 'nntp.aioe.org' to see the new groups.

Announcement

Jul 23, 2021, 3:15:22 PM7/23/21
Greetings,

The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
2.53.8.1 (yesterday, I was away).

So please check out [1] or [2].

Thanks to all involved.

Links:
[1] - https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.53.8.1
[2] - https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.8.1/

(this message copied and adapted from Ant's post on
alt.comp.software.seamonkey )

Steve Wendt

Jul 23, 2021, 3:22:25 PM7/23/21
On 7/23/2021 12:15 PM, Announcement wrote:

> The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
> 2.53.8.1 (yesterday, I was away).

I was surprised to see the Windows version had updated itself.

> (this message copied and adapted from Ant's post on
> alt.comp.software.seamonkey )

Is that a good place to discuss websites that no longer render
correctly, but do in Firefox? LinkedIn is one, HumbleBundle bundle
pages is another, the banners at the top of gamingonlinux.com...

Don Spam's Reckless Son

Jul 23, 2021, 4:12:06 PM7/23/21
to Steve Wendt
Not really. They tend to fall into two categories anyway:
- Sites which require features Seamonkey does not (yet?) offer. While
those requirements do not necessarily make sense, they are still there.
- Bad browser sniffing. You may want to moan to the site.
alt.comp.software.seamonkey is the correct place for this anyway.

As for me, I have two Windows PCs where Seamonkey was set to auto-update
but which I hardly ever use.
Seamonkey auto-updated itself from 2.53.7 to 2.53.8 and then on to 2.53.8.1.
I have changed the setting to "inform but do not update".

Dirk Fieldhouse

Jul 24, 2021, 10:57:47 AM7/24/21
On 23/07/2021 21:11, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Steve Wendt wrote:
> Not really.  They tend to fall into two categories anyway:
> - Sites which require features Seamonkey does not (yet?) offer.  While
> those requirements do not necessarily make sense, they are still there.

Generally the developers failed to provide the necessary fallback
scripts that should have been included. This happens because they test
against recent "beta" browsers rather than an actual specification. Then
their failure has to be excused by saying that they only support certain
browser/version combinations.

/df

--
London
UK

nntp

Jul 30, 2021, 6:11:25 AM7/30/21
30.06.2021 16:26, Don Spam's Reckless Son пишет:
Test

nntp

Jul 30, 2021, 6:40:17 AM7/30/21
24.07.2021 20:57, Dirk Fieldhouse пишет:
TEST NNTP

Job Bautista

Jul 31, 2021, 12:28:21 AM7/31/21
Test messages go to mozilla.test. m.d.a.seamonkey is not a test
newsgroup, nor is m.s.seamonkey.

Daniel

Jul 31, 2021, 6:00:32 AM7/31/21
nntp wrote on 30/7/21 8:11 pm:
So both your test messages have failed, this one and the second one
which you made about 29 minutes AFTER this failure!!

Both the news groups you posted into are active newsgroups, NOT TEST
newsgroups, of which there are many!
--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210117210643

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210118013008

PulsarNNTP

Aug 2, 2021, 4:53:36 AM8/2/21
30.07.2021 16:40, nntp пишет:
--