SeaMonkey 2.53.7 released!

Edmund Wong

Mar 31, 2021, 12:45:06 AM3/31/21
Greetings,

The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
2.53.7.

This isn't going to be a quick canned notification as there is
significance in this post.

What's so significant?

This could be my last "New release" post here on the newsgroups
(well, unless we release something between now and prior to
newsgroup shutdown).

I can't seem to shake the feeling of the fond memories of
posting here about the new Releases. First it was KaiRo,
then Callek. Then me.

A new era will be upon us when we finally find a new
place to post this (well, aside for on the blog). Hey,
how about I gather everyone's email addresses and spam^H^H^H^H,
post new release updates that way? :D [You can put down
those pitchforks... I was just joking... really]

Jokes aside, it's been a blast posting here and I'm certainly
unhappy that it's going the same way as irc.mozilla.org. But
perhaps the new 'thing' will be better?

Anyway, the end of an era.

[Unless Mozilla changes its mind and say to us "Just kidding,
the newsgroups are here to stay!"]

And as RattyAway [Where are you?] once said.. "Hope springs
eternal.." [ok.. he might not have said that... but let's
roll with that. It's not like he's going to post on here
and rebut thhat.... <smirk>]

I'd like to thank Mozilla for having this medium to allow
us to all talk about SeaMonkey.

"So smoke me a kipper and I'll be back for breakfast!"

Or was it

"Thanks for all the fishes!"

So please check out [1] or [2].

Thanks to all involved.

Edmund

Links:
[1] - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.53.7
[2] - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.7/

Steve Wendt

Mar 31, 2021, 3:03:14 PM3/31/21
On 3/30/2021 9:44 PM, Edmund Wong wrote:

> The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
> 2.53.7.

Thanks to all involved!

> Jokes aside, it's been a blast posting here and I'm certainly
> unhappy that it's going the same way as irc.mozilla.org. But
> perhaps the new 'thing' will be better?

Did I miss what the new 'thing' is? FRG suggested mozillazine, and of
course there is the blog.

Ant

Mar 31, 2021, 3:10:01 PM3/31/21
http://reddit.com/r/seamonkey exists too. I just wished it had more
activities like others (e.g., http://reddit.com/r/firefox and
http://reddit.com/r/thunderbird). ;)
--
It's March Madness! Stop the racisms, hates, discriminations, etc.
please. Moderna dose #1's shot area is still itchy. :(
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Dirk Fieldhouse

Apr 1, 2021, 4:39:14 PM4/1/21
On 31/03/2021 05:44, Edmund Wong wrote:

> The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
> 2.53.7.

Thanks, and just to note that updating the Ubuntuzilla package (through
its apt repository) without updating the corresponding language pack can
result in the Compose window losing all contents and functionality.

Presumably one can break other builds in a similar way.

/df

--
London
UK

Frank-Rainer Grahl

Apr 4, 2021, 8:10:27 AM4/4/21
oersted wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 12:44:59 +0800, Edmund Wong <ew...@pw-wspx.org> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
>> 2.53.7.
>>
>> This isn't going to be a quick canned notification as there is
>> significance in this post.
>>
>> What's so significant?
>>
>> This could be my last "New release" post here on the newsgroups
>> (well, unless we release something between now and prior to
>> newsgroup shutdown).
>>
>> I can't seem to shake the feeling of the fond memories of
>> posting here about the new Releases. First it was KaiRo,
>> then Callek. Then me.
>>
>> A new era will be upon us when we finally find a new
>> place to post this (well, aside for on the blog). Hey,
>> Edmund
>>
> I would like to thank you, FRG, and the other devs who have put so much
> effort into Seamonkey and its predecessors. I made the switch (Set as
> default browser) in either M12 or M14 back around the turn of the century.
> I too mourn the demise of NNTP but understand the reasons. Perhaps it's
> time to change email client from Forte Agent (which has NNTP support) to
> something more html compliant. Not that I like HTML email, but it's what's
> done these days.
>
> Again, thanks for all your work!
>
> Bob

We try to keep the lights on :) The newsgroup alt.comp.software.seamonkey has
been created. You can subscribe to it via news.aioe.org if your news provider
does not carry it yet.

FRG

JAS

Apr 4, 2021, 12:42:05 PM4/4/21
I currently have SM ver. 2.49.5 installed on a Window 10 64/32 bit
laptop. It is installed at C:\Users\Margaret\AppData\Local\SeaMonkey, I
don't know how I happened to get it there but all works fine. I would
like to install the new ver. 2.53.7 and install it as a 64 bit and into
Program Files and point it to a profile I am not using for the 2.45.5.
Is this feasible?

JAS

Frank-Rainer Grahl

Apr 4, 2021, 3:55:38 PM4/4/21
If you didin't have adminstatrator rights when installing you might end up
with it in your profile. I think there is a bug open for it. Not sure if it
isfixed now for 2.53.x.

In any case deinstall the old 2.49.5, reboot and then install the new version.
If you check custom for the install you will see where it wants to be
installed. Make a backup of your 2.49.5 profile in case something goes wrong.

While you can use both versions with limitiations when not pointing to the
same profile I would not recommend it. OS integration will always use one of
the insdtalls and usually the latest.

FRG

JAS

Apr 4, 2021, 9:02:26 PM4/4/21
Thanks for the reply. I really would like to keep the SM 2.49.5 install
until I test out the SM 2.53.7??

Daniel

Apr 5, 2021, 3:25:18 AM4/5/21
JAS wrote on 5/4/21 2:41 am:

<Snip>

> I currently have SM ver. 2.49.5 installed on a Window 10 64/32 bit
> laptop. It is installed at C:\Users\Margaret\AppData\Local\SeaMonkey, I
> don't know how I happened to get it there but all works fine. I would
> like to install the new ver. 2.53.7 and install it as a 64 bit and into
> Program Files and point it to a profile I am not using for the 2.45.5.
> Is this feasible?
>
> JAS

JAS, yes, it is possible ... When you download and install the SM
2.53.7, you should get the option to install it where your current SM is
installed OR you should be able to do a CUSTOM installation and, in that
process, select exactly where you want to install the program.

Before you do the new installation, make a back-up of your current
Profile (just in case!! ;-P ).

You can locate where your Profile is by selecting Edit -> Mail &
Newsgroups account Settings then, on the left portion of that screen,
select "Server Settings" in your e-Mail account. At the bottom of that
screen, you should see "Local directory". The location indicates where
your profile in.

If you have any problems come back here .... or wherever these groups
may move to!!
--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210117210643

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.53.6 Build identifier: 20210118013008

Frank-Rainer Grahl

Apr 5, 2021, 9:37:03 AM4/5/21
Daniel wrote:
> JAS wrote on 5/4/21 2:41 am:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> I currently have SM ver. 2.49.5 installed on a Window 10 64/32 bit laptop.
>> It is installed at C:\Users\Margaret\AppData\Local\SeaMonkey, I don't know
>> how I happened to get it there but all works fine. I would like to install
>> the new ver. 2.53.7 and install it as a 64 bit and into Program Files and
>> point it to a profile I am not using for the 2.45.5. Is this feasible?
>>
>> JAS
>
> JAS, yes, it is possible ... When you download and install the SM 2.53.7, you
> should get the option to install it where your current SM is installed OR you
> should be able to do a CUSTOM installation and, in that process, select
> exactly where you want to install the program.
>
> Before you do the new installation, make a back-up of your current Profile
> (just in case!! ;-P ).
>
> You can locate where your Profile is by selecting Edit -> Mail & Newsgroups
> account Settings then, on the left portion of that screen, select "Server
> Settings" in your e-Mail account. At the bottom of that screen, you should see
> "Local directory". The location indicates where your profile in.
>
> If you have any problems come back here .... or wherever these groups may move
> to!!

At least under Winodws the installer registers dlls and the last one wins. If
you want to test use the unpacked zip.

FRG

JAS

Apr 5, 2021, 9:59:37 PM4/5/21
How is that done,from an unpacked zip. I'm a bit dense here

JAS