New places mockup

Brett Wilson

Apr 26, 2006, 11:46:56 PM4/26/06
On April 26 I checked in a demo for a potential new history view. I'm
trying different experiments to see if we can identify potential new
directions now that we have some more time. It's checked in to the trunk
and you can try it out on your places history. It should be in the trunk
nightly.

Go to: chrome://browser/content/places/demos/time.xul

It's slow (dynamically-constructed HTML), doesn't live update (you have
to press reload), has bad time formatting, etc. Also, the left side will
get out of control if you have very dense history.

I'll wait and point out the features later. Right now, I'd like people's
opinions without knowing what everything is supposed to be.

Brett

Philip Withnall

Apr 27, 2006, 1:23:33 AM4/27/06
Very nice. It's clean and uncluttered, and I like the graph along the
left. :-)

Jeff Schiller

Apr 27, 2006, 1:10:29 PM4/27/06
Forgive my ignorance - but how do we check it out exactly?

Philip Withnall

Apr 27, 2006, 1:28:46 PM4/27/06

Brett Wilson

Apr 27, 2006, 1:31:52 PM4/27/06
Jeff Schiller wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance - but how do we check it out exactly?

You should be able to download the latest nightly build. It should be in
there.

Brett

Pam Greene

Apr 27, 2006, 1:41:45 PM4/27/06
to Brett Wilson, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
To be specific, download your favorite flavor from

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

and then go to

chrome://browser/content/places/demos/time.xul

in that copy of Minefield.

- Pam

Jeff Schiller

Apr 27, 2006, 3:35:28 PM4/27/06
Thanks. Learned something new today (the chrome:// thing in the
address bar)

Mike Beltzner

Apr 28, 2006, 2:29:32 AM4/28/06
On 4/26/06, Brett Wilson <bre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll wait and point out the features later. Right now, I'd like people's
> opinions without knowing what everything is supposed to be.

This is a really interesting view, especially if I want to view my
entire browsing stream or analyze the way I surf the web. I like some
of the ideas you've got here for visual separation of: day, session
(I'm assuming that's where the timestamps are coming from), domain,
page, URI.

I'm not sure how effective this would be for tasks where a user was
trying to find some place that they've been, however. There's a lot of
repetition (showing the same page as I reloaded it each time) and that
makes it harder to visually parse the information. Also, it's hard to
focus on a given day; I see that you haven't hooked up select
mechanisms into the sidebar, but when you do, you might wish to
highlight the selected day's content in the main area. The timestamps
are interesting, although I'm not quite sure what they're showing; if
it is indeed session start and stop, maybe that should be called out
("Started surfing" / "Shut down Firefox" labels, maybe?)

The histogram is an intersting idea: what tasks were you envisioning
this to enable? I figure that a user consults history primarily to
find somewhere that they've been before, and I'm not sure that usage
frequency would help in that task. Kinda cool looking, though.

Things that might be cool to see in this view:

- most frequently visited sites (especially if they aren't bookmarked)
- frequently visited sites that have feeds available
- history sorted by date/name
- history sorted by name/last visited
- history sorted by media/attachment type (ie: movie, sound file, binary)

Nifty thinking, Brett!

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Brett Wilson

Apr 28, 2006, 11:45:55 AM4/28/06
Mike Beltzner wrote:
> I'm not sure how effective this would be for tasks where a user was
> trying to find some place that they've been, however. There's a lot of
> repetition (showing the same page as I reloaded it each time) and that
> makes it harder to visually parse the information.

I don't think I did as much collapsing as with the real places view
sorted by date. It would be the same in real life.

> Also, it's hard to
> focus on a given day; I see that you haven't hooked up select
> mechanisms into the sidebar, but when you do, you might wish to
> highlight the selected day's content in the main area.

Yes, this is the goal.

> The timestamps
> are interesting, although I'm not quite sure what they're showing; if
> it is indeed session start and stop, maybe that should be called out
> ("Started surfing" / "Shut down Firefox" labels, maybe?)

The timestamps are whenever there is a 10 minute break in browsing. This
will need to be enhanced if we do it to handle some more cases. The
light gray lines are the session breaks. There are too many sessions in
general browsing to use those for displaying something big like the time
dividers.

> The histogram is an intersting idea: what tasks were you envisioning
> this to enable? I figure that a user consults history primarily to
> find somewhere that they've been before, and I'm not sure that usage
> frequency would help in that task. Kinda cool looking, though.

The histogram is to enable coolness. We need some way of easily
selecting days like the old calendar that is more understandable. That's
really the idea of the left view. We can make it seem more useful and
also look cool by putting the histogram in.

I think it's more useful when doing a search. For example, you search
for X in your history, and you see when you visited web pages.
Hopefully, showing something visible for "last Friday has a lot of
matches" will help you zero in on that time.

I'm going to do a new one that's more like "group by day and then host"
which might be more useful in general.

Brett

Mossop

Apr 30, 2006, 8:42:23 PM4/30/06

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing here. The three pages that
it lists are formatted very nicely, but otherwise it doesn't really seem
to do anything. I can't, for example, click the pages to view them or
anything.

Mossop

Brett Wilson

May 1, 2006, 7:39:34 PM5/1/06
Mossop wrote:
> I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing here. The three pages that
> it lists are formatted very nicely, but otherwise it doesn't really seem
> to do anything. I can't, for example, click the pages to view them or
> anything.

You're supposed to see if you like the visual presentation better or
worse than the current list view.

Brett