0.3.1 (for daylight savings time changes) release planning

Dan Mosedale

Jan 19, 2007, 4:14:46 PM1/19/07
In North America, some daylight savings time changes are taking effect
in March that the 0.3 code does yet account for. It seems likely that
many people are already scheduling events in March (since it's only six
weeks in the future, and the changes themselves will be taking effect in
seven weeks). So it seems like the best way to serve our users is by
pushing out a maintenance release as quickly as possible.

Our original plan for dealing with this was to have 0.5 released by now.
However, there is still a bunch of work left to do for 0.5, and even
if we were to cut most of that work, there'd still be bunch of QA and
stabilization to do. So after a bunch of IRC discussion yesterday,
we've instead determined to do a very minimal 0.3.1 release as quickly
as we reasonably can. I've started a wiki page to track this work at
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:0.3.1_Release_Status>.

This will have a small amount of effect on 0.5 work, in the sense that
0.3.1 work will be given priority. In particular, I'm putting the
timezone backend rework on hold in order to focus on 0.3.1.
Additionally, mvl (rather than I) will be posting in more detail about
the new event dialog plans we discussed in the Wednesday meeting shortly.

Dan

Clint Talbert

Jan 19, 2007, 5:28:48 PM1/19/07
Dan Mosedale wrote:
> Our original plan for dealing with this was to have 0.5 released by now.
> However, there is still a bunch of work left to do for 0.5, and even if
> we were to cut most of that work, there'd still be bunch of QA and
> stabilization to do. So after a bunch of IRC discussion yesterday,
> we've instead determined to do a very minimal 0.3.1 release as quickly
> as we reasonably can. I've started a wiki page to track this work at
> <http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:0.3.1_Release_Status>.
If you can have a pre-release for the timezone related 0.3.1 changes
available by January 26-27, we can devote the January 30th test day to
testing it.

Clint

Iacopo Benesperi

Jan 19, 2007, 5:30:07 PM1/19/07
Is the locale changing between 0.3 and 0.3.1?

thanks,
Iacopo

Cédric Corazza

Jan 19, 2007, 5:42:51 PM1/19/07
Iacopo Benesperi a écrit :

> Is the locale changing between 0.3 and 0.3.1?
>
> thanks,
> Iacopo

I guess it does as there is new timezones, AFAIK, but from a
localization point of view, this will be minor imho.

Cédric

Stefan Sitter

Jan 19, 2007, 6:41:56 PM1/19/07
In case we also want to backport some bug fixes from 0.4a1 to 0.3.1
I put together a small list we should discuss(in my opinion):

Bug 356740 - Fixes issue on Windows with Sunbird not starting up if
installed over previous version (Bug 358962, Bug 350644, Bug 359683,
Bug 359678, Bug 363185, Bug 356847)

Bug 349715 - Fixes error with tasks that have alarm set created by
previous Sunbird versions and other applications (Bug 356000, Bug
356004, Bug 351977)

Bug 357481 – Fixes typo in storage provider that prevents viewing of
tasks in floating tz created with previous Calendar version

Bug 362750 - [es-ES only] Freeze (hang) when opening new calendar
wizard (requires patch for SUNBIRD_0_3_BRANCH)

Bug 356261 – lightning-wcap builds don't function properly (rebuilds
of 0.3 were done)

Bug 365765 – Update calendar copyright dates to 2007

/Stefan

Simon Paquet

Jan 19, 2007, 6:43:01 PM1/19/07

Stefan Sitter

Jan 20, 2007, 6:07:56 AM1/20/07
Simon Paquet wrote:

> Iacopo Benesperi wrote:
>> Is the locale changing between 0.3 and 0.3.1?
>
> Yes, there were changes in locale-specific code, although those
> changes were rather small: [bonsai link]

This changes from 0.4a1 are not required for 0.3.1 because the
release will be based on 0.3 release:

Sunbird based on SUNBIRD_0_3_RELEASE (from SUNBIRD_0_3_BRANCH)
Lightning based on LIGHTNING_0_3_RELEASE (from MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH)

There was some irc discussion on this topic yesterday, most likely
only timezones.dtd in locales/en-US/chrome/calendar/preferences/
will be affected.

I think we will do a separate l10n post once it's clear what changes
are required.

/Stefan

Simon Paquet

Jan 20, 2007, 5:32:31 AM1/20/07
And on the seventh day Stefan Sitter spoke:

>In case we also want to backport some bug fixes from 0.4a1 to 0.3.1
>I put together a small list we should discuss(in my opinion):

I would like to add Bug 361900 (Add nb-NO (Norwegian bokmål) to
all-locales) to this list, so that we could release a localized Norwegian
build with 0.3.1.

Simon Paquet

Jan 20, 2007, 7:19:26 AM1/20/07
And on the seventh day Stefan Sitter spoke:

>>> Is the locale changing between 0.3 and 0.3.1?
>>
>> Yes, there were changes in locale-specific code, although those
>> changes were rather small: [bonsai link]
>
>This changes from 0.4a1 are not required for 0.3.1 because the
>release will be based on 0.3 release:

Yes, I only realized that after I wrote the post. Sorry for the
confusion.

Simon Paquet

Jan 22, 2007, 11:10:40 AM1/22/07
Dan Mosedale wrote:
> In North America, some daylight savings time changes are taking effect
> in March that the 0.3 code does yet account for. It seems likely that
> many people are already scheduling events in March (since it's only six
> weeks in the future, and the changes themselves will be taking effect in
> seven weeks). So it seems like the best way to serve our users is by
> pushing out a maintenance release as quickly as possible.

The Slovak l10n team contacted me regarding the 0.3.1 release.

In the 0.3 release they had a faulty sunbird-l10n.js file included,
which was causing the default categories not to show properly. They
fixed that shortly after 0.3 but it probably isn't included in the 0.3
release tags. I asked them to open a bug for this, so that we are aware
of this issue.

They complied and opened up bug 367691 as a reminder for us. I would
really advise to take the fixed Slovak sunbird-l10n.js file from
current cvs and integrate it into 0.3.1.

Cya
Simon

Kim Ludvigsen

Jan 22, 2007, 4:06:19 PM1/22/07
Den 22-01-07 17.10 skrev Simon Paquet følgende:

> The Slovak l10n team contacted me regarding the 0.3.1 release.

We also had some problems with the danish Sunbird 0.3 release. What do
we need to do to get corrections into the 0.3.1 release?

At the moment I'm not sure it will be possible to upload to CVS as I
don't have the rights to write to CVS. The one who usually uploads for
me isn't answering his e-mails at the moment.

--
Kind regards
Kim Ludvigsen

Dan Mosedale

Jan 22, 2007, 8:27:48 PM1/22/07
And I've set blocking-calendar-0.3.1? on all the bugs mentioned so far
on this thread. We'll have a triage meeting soon to go through them.
Note that we'll be playing _very_ conservative about what we accept.

Dan

Matthew Willis

Jan 29, 2007, 1:14:09 PM1/29/07
Stefan Sitter wrote:
> I think we will do a separate l10n post once it's clear what changes
> are required.

With a great deal of assistance from Cédric Corazza, here is that post.

As mention in mozilla.dev.apps.calendar, the Mozilla Calendar project
team are producing a 0.3.1 maintenance release for Sunbird and
Lightning. This release is primarily to add the new US timezones going
into effect in March 2007.

Initially, the new timezones were planned to be included in the 0.5
release, but rather than rush 0.5 and cutting planned features, it was
decided to produce the 0.3.1 release.

Sunbird 0.3.1 will be built from the SUNBIRD_0_3_BRANCH.
Lightning 0.3.1 will be built from the LIGHTNING_0_3_BRANCH.

Both of these branches exist in the /l10n repository. We know that
there were some issues with some locales and the final 0.3 release. We
hope to prevent that from recurring by producing l10n builds earlier in
the RC cycle. Please be sure that any fixes for your locale that didn't
make it into 0.3 exist on the SUNBIRD_0_3_BRANCH and
LIGHTNING_0_3_BRANCH so they are shipped with 0.3.1.

To get the 0.3 branches for your locale :

Create new directories:
mkdir ln031 ; mkdir sb031

then perform the following commands :
cd ln031
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs -z3 -d:ext:your.cvs%accoun...@cvs.mozilla.org:/l10n \
co -r LIGHTNING_0_3_BRANCH l10n/ab-CD

cd ../sb031
cvs -z3 -d:ext:your.cvs%accoun...@cvs.mozilla.org:/l10n \
co -r SUNBIRD_0_3_BRANCH l10n/ab-CD

Be sure to replace your.cvs%account.here with your actual cvs account,
and ab-CD with your actual locale.

According to Cédric:
TortoiseCVS users should just keep the same parameters as for the
MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH except they have to change the branch name in the
'Version' tab with LIGHTNING_0_3_BRANCH and SUNBIRD_0_3_BRANCH

Stefan Sitter has graciously set up the following site:
http://ssitter.googlepages.com/compare-locales
where you can see the checkins that landed on the 0.3 branches and also
a compare-locales for all the locales that have a localized /calendar.

We are shooting for a release as early in February as reasonably
possible, in order to get the updated timezones out early.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact myself or others
(Cedric, ssitter, etc.) in #calendar for more information.

Thanks
-lilmatt

Thorsten Fritz

Jan 30, 2007, 11:16:55 AM1/30/07
Matthew Willis wrote:

> Stefan Sitter has graciously set up the following site:
> http://ssitter.googlepages.com/compare-locales
> where you can see the checkins that landed on the 0.3 branches and also
> a compare-locales for all the locales that have a localized /calendar.

And if you want to test your locale, i did langpacks for 0.3.1.
You can find them on http://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Nightrat

Thorsten

--
http://www.nvu-composer.de
http://www.sunbird-kalender.de

Kim Ludvigsen

Jan 30, 2007, 4:21:27 PM1/30/07
Matthew Willis wrote:

> We know that
> there were some issues with some locales and the final 0.3 release. We
> hope to prevent that from recurring by producing l10n builds earlier in
> the RC cycle. Please be sure that any fixes for your locale that didn't
> make it into 0.3 exist on the SUNBIRD_0_3_BRANCH and
> LIGHTNING_0_3_BRANCH so they are shipped with 0.3.1.

The danish translation was one of those. I have made an update of the
translations, but I do not have write access to CVS. The guy that
usually uploads all the danish translations is not available at the
moment, as he is preparing for an important exam. I haven't been able to
get in contact with him for several weeks.

Can someone with write access help me, please!

Kind regards
Kim Ludvigsen