0.5 release status update

Simon Paquet

Apr 23, 2007, 10:59:27 AM4/23/07
We know, that all of you are waiting anxiously for the new release and
since we're a little bit behind schedule, I thought I would give you
an update on this.

At the moment we have two outstanding blocker bugs, which hinder the
release of our first release candidate (RC1). Those bugs are:

* Bug 377641 - Outlook does not read iTIP/iMIP invitation because of
missing UID
* Bug 372287 - Sunbird crashes on open in Mac OS X 10.3

Right now, we know what went wrong with bug 377641 and hope to have a
fix for this today. The status of bug 372287 is still unclear to us,
since we are still trying to build Sunbird from a Mac OS X 10.3 box,
which would allow us to diagnose the problem. Therefore we have
decided two things:

1. We will release RC1 for Linux and Windows once bug 377641 has been
fixed. That will give most of you the chance to pound on those builds
and identify potential last-minute blockers, while we are trying to
fix the Mac OS X 10.3 bug.
2. If no other blockers arise from RC1, we will release 0.5 once bug
377641 gets fixed. If new blockers rise, we will likely release a 2nd
release candidate (RC2).

Cya
Simon

Thorsten Dorr

Apr 23, 2007, 3:58:02 PM4/23/07
Simon Paquet schrieb:

> We know, that all of you are waiting anxiously for the new release

Yes, we are waiting (^.^)
Because the minimize to tray bug is still annoying.

Thank you for your work.

Stefan Sitter

Apr 23, 2007, 4:44:41 PM4/23/07
Thorsten Dorr wrote:
> Yes, we are waiting (^.^)
> Because the minimize to tray bug is still annoying.

Sunbird/Lightning can't fix extension bugs. The issue was reported
to the extension developers and a possible workaround is available
from <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=506437>

/Stefan

Norbert Püschel

Apr 24, 2007, 4:27:43 AM4/24/07
Stefan Sitter schrieb:

BTW: The mentioned workaround is pure nonsense. All it does is introduce
a syntax error into the javascript file - you can just as well remove
the file. The bug is that Sunbird does not confirm to the mozilla
standard for application startup. This reminds me to check if someone
has already filed a bug for this...

Norbert Püschel

Norbert Püschel

Apr 24, 2007, 4:55:56 AM4/24/07
Norbert Püschel schrieb:

OK, I didn't find a bug for this so I filed bug 378557. I don't think
this is a 0.5 blocking bug, however...

Norbert Püschel

Thorsten Dorr

Apr 24, 2007, 8:59:46 AM4/24/07
Stefan Sitter schrieb:

> Sunbird/Lightning can't fix extension bugs. The issue was reported to
> the extension developers and a possible workaround is available from
> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=506437>
>
> /Stefan

Hm, I thougt it is a problem of Sunbird/Lightning because Suntray
is not working correct anymore, too.

So, I was hoping that we will see an update about this problem
in the next Sunbird/Lightning release.

And the workaround is unfortunately only usefull by starting
sunbird from hand. But it works not, if you put sunbird in
the startup-folder of windows.

And in addition sunbird makes strange window zooming effects
if I send it to tray(with minimize to tray extension).

But I think, all will get fine in future.

Thank you, for your answer.

Thorsten Dorr

Apr 24, 2007, 9:04:35 AM4/24/07
Norbert Püschel schrieb:

> OK, I didn't find a bug for this so I filed bug 378557. I don't think
> this is a 0.5 blocking bug, however...

Thank you for filing a bug. I have now voted for it ;)

Stefan Sitter

Apr 24, 2007, 1:37:55 PM4/24/07
Norbert Püschel wrote:
> The bug is that Sunbird does not confirm to the mozilla standard
> for application startup.

Is there somewhere a documentation available on this topic?

/Stefan

Norbert Püschel

Apr 25, 2007, 3:52:33 AM4/25/07
Stefan Sitter schrieb:

Well, how about this:

http://www.xulplanet.com/references/xpcomref/ifaces/nsICommandLine.html

Here is the paragraph about the preventDefault property:

-cut-

PRBool preventDefault

There may be a command-line handler which performs a default action if
there was no explicit action on the command line (open a default browser
window, for example). This flag allows the default action to be prevented.

-cut-

Obviously, for Firefox and Thunderbird the mentioned default window is
the main window. I see no reason it should be handled differently by
Sunbird, especially because the current behaviour makes it really
difficult for extension programmers to add command line switches to
sunbird. I had to solve this for the MyPhoneExplorer Extension; my
current solution is an ugly hack that closes the newly opened Sunbird
window directly after it is opened...

Norbert Püschel