Onboarding video ideas

Eitan Isaacson

Apr 28, 2016, 1:36:42 PM4/28/16
to dev-acce...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey folks,

Here is an idea for a 2 part video series for the onboarding process. Why
video? Because we can't always be at the onboarding process in person.
Having a prerecorded video ensures consistency in a11y onboarding quality.

I propose 2 videos, the first would be a more general introduction to
accessibility. The second would focus on web and assistive technologies.
The second video we would tape together in London. Here are the two
outlines:

*Video 1: Principals of accessible/universal design*

- Goal: Viewers will get an understanding of high level principals that
make a product/event/environment/culture accessible.
- Audience: This will be broad enough that people at a wide range of
roles will get something out of it: designers, developers, administrators,
event organizers, program managers, community managers, tech evangelists,
etc.
- Accessibility principals: A variation on the list provided in the WCAG
"at a glance" page (perceivable/operable/understandable/robust), or the
attached page taken from* Universal Principals of Design*
(perceptibility/operability/simplicity/forgiveness).
- Concept: The Seattle light rail is a modern "post-ADA" project. It
offers understated accessibility features that answer many of the
principals we want to cover. The video will highlight those features:
- *perceptibility:* redundant audio and visual station announcement.
Grooved paths to key locations in station.
- *operability:* card reader is 3 feet from the ground, and is
operable from a diverse range of heights + chairs.
- *simplicity:* Station signs feature memorable graphic icons (kite,
heron, mountain, etc.) Useful for non-English speakers, children,
non-readers, etc.
- *forgiveness:* yellow gritty dots that help you not slip and get
light railed.
- It will be funny upbeat and engaging.

*Video 2: Accessibility in our products and on the web*

- Goal: Viewers will understand how accessibility principals are applied
in our products and on the web
- Audience: This video is more product focused: designers, QA, platform
devs, web devs, standards folks, IT (they are not "product", but they
acquire tools and products that need to be accessible)
- Concept: The video will:
- Explain how the principals from video 1 are applied on the web:
- *perceptibility:* alt image text, no color dependencies, no
sound dependencies, etc.
- *operability:* keyboard support, multi-modal input
- *simplicity:* clean, uncluttered design
- *forgiveness:* more than 1 step for destructive operations (eg.
confirm dialog for delete)
- Demonstrate how a screen reader is used.
- Overview how ATs interact with the web
- DOM tree vs. a11y tree
- AT IPC design
- etc.