Firefox Localization : Journey through Bugzilla

Rajesh Ranjan

Sep 16, 2012, 11:38:33 AM9/16/12
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Mozilla Reps - General, community-india
Hi

Yesterday I with Aman presented at Mozilla Carnival, Pune about the experience of releasing a new locale Maithili on the topic: "Firefox Localization : Locale—Localization—Release : A Case Study : Maithili Bugzilla Journey" [1]. I tried to understand the journey through the process we resolved important bugs for releasing Firefox in this presentation. I added one slide of community review but the requirement of community review is not tracked through bugzilla's locale release tracker bug.  I think it is one of the most important aspect and it should be added in Mozilla l10n release process with more importance as it is very useful in making localized build error free to a great extent. I as a coordinator did for Hindi and as a mentor Maithili [2] as well. Though FUEL project [3] we covered lot for menus/sub-menus level review by community, but the dedicated review for Firefox by community helped us lot. I would recommend to incorporate the community
review phase as a dependency in the release tracker bug of a locale. Also I would like to recommend other already released locales also to go for it to make the mozilla localized product much more better.

[1] http://bhashaghar.googlecode.com/files/Firefox_Localization_Case_Study_Maithili_Pune_Carnival.pdf

[2] http://bhashaghar.googlecode.com/files/Review%20Workshop%20of%20Firefox%20Maithili_A-Report.pdf

[3] https://fedorahosted.org/fuel

regards,
--------------
Rajesh Ranjan
Kramashah

Rajesh Ranjan

Sep 17, 2012, 12:21:39 PM9/17/12
to Axel Hecht, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, community-india, Mozilla Reps - General
Hi Axel,

Thanks!
Actually I found community review workshop useful in several ways and so I suggested.  When writing this mail, I thought like other bugs, we can create a bug something like Localized Build Review and make it a criteria for final release of the localized build of beta. The community can be instructed to push the changes in upstream by mentioning it in comment including the bug no. Apart from this, it will generate awareness among language people that Firefox is going to come in their language. I did it for Maithili and allmajor  newspaper/channels came to cover it.

Actually, I can see lot of work is happening here in Mozilla l10n community. We have challenges to streamline all l10n activity of one language under one place or at least some coordination is necessary among different type of localization activities or people involved in localization activity of same language. We have teams’ page [3] and I feel whole localization activity related to one language should have all details on that page.

One point I would like to add here, I think we should incorporate ‘Approved/Locked’ [1] like state for the translation tool Mozilla is going to adopt. I filed a bug for the same for gettext. Firefox is one of the flagship open source product and ensuring good localized build availability is of great importance. Probably you know that we under FUEL Module [2] tried to concentrate on three-four level of menus entries of frequently used applications in which Firefox is one major application of browser category and so lot of entries of Firefox is present in fuel module. It helps us to standardized menus across different applications and due to this we are able to improve GUI entries which a normal user can encounter in general.

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?37236
[2] http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/fuel/fuel_pot/fuel_en_US.pot
[3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Teams

regards,
--------------
Rajesh Ranjan
Kramashah

________________________________
Sep 18, 2012, 10:45:55 AM9/18/12
to Rajesh Ranjan, community-india
at bottom :-

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Rajesh Ranjan <rajes...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yesterday I with Aman presented at Mozilla Carnival, Pune about the experience of releasing a new locale Maithili on the topic: "Firefox Localization : Locale—Localization—Release : A Case Study : Maithili Bugzilla Journey" [1]. I tried to understand the journey through the process we resolved important bugs for releasing Firefox in this presentation. I added one slide of community review but the requirement of community review is not tracked through bugzilla's locale release tracker bug. I think it is one of the most important aspect and it should be added in Mozilla l10n release process with more importance as it is very useful in making localized build error free to a great extent. I as a coordinator did for Hindi and as a mentor Maithili [2] as well. Though FUEL project [3] we covered lot for menus/sub-menus level review by community, but the dedicated review for Firefox by community helped us lot. I would recommend to incorporate the community
> review phase as a dependency in the release tracker bug of a locale. Also I would like to recommend other already released locales also to go for it to make the mozilla localized product much more better.
>
> [1] http://bhashaghar.googlecode.com/files/Firefox_Localization_Case_Study_Maithili_Pune_Carnival.pdf
>
> [2] http://bhashaghar.googlecode.com/files/Review%20Workshop%20of%20Firefox%20Maithili_A-Report.pdf
>
> [3] https://fedorahosted.org/fuel
>

> regards,
> --------------
> Rajesh Ranjan
> Kramashah

Dear Rajesh,
I just saw your presentation, sad that I missed the real thing. Few
things which would have added to the presentation shared, maybe you
could make 1.1 version of the presentation :).

a. It would have been nicer to give a use-case of need of Maithili in
the first or second slide. Maybe with an e.g. or two with the diff. or
similarities with Hindi for instance (just an idea.)

b. It would have been nicer to have a sort of workflow/flow-chart of
what needed to be done (the interim steps) as well . I did see that
while you have attempted to document all the bug-reports for somebody
looking from outside in unless s/he's into il8n wouldn't really know
how to make sense. Such a flow-chart could also serve as a template
for some period of time at least.

c. Just updating and keeping Maithili with Firefox versions is the
goal or is the maithili team also looking for doing work on other
products of Mozilla also. IIRC most of the code-bases of Mozilla
products (Seamonkey, thunderbird, lightening etc.) share a healthy
amount of code-base with Mozilla Firefox so perhaps those would be (if
not already are) the immediate targets.

Overall nicely done, sadly missed your presentation, Kudos for all the
good work :)
--
Regards,
Shirish Agarwal शिरीष अग्रवाल

Axel Hecht

Sep 18, 2012, 7:29:24 PM9/18/12
I'm afraid that the bugs that Rajesh talked about are no longer valid as
is. We're actually revamping them in quite some detail right now for the
next batch of localizations.

The general concept is going to stay, though, which is, once you've done
the major initial work on the Firefox localization, there's a bunch of
stuff coming up to drive that work into a shippable product. May that be
search and other services or web site work.

Axel

Rajesh Ranjan

Sep 19, 2012, 11:58:08 AM9/19/12
to shirish शिरीष, community-india

________________________________
c. Just updating and keeping Maithili with Firefox versions is the

goal or is the maithili team also looking for doing work on other
products of Mozilla also. IIRC most of the code-bases of Mozilla
products (Seamonkey, thunderbird, lightening etc.) share a healthy
amount of code-base with Mozilla Firefox so perhaps those would be (if
not already are) the immediate targets.

Overall nicely done, sadly missed your presentation, Kudos for all the
good work :)

Thanks Shirish!

It would really be interesting to see difference/similarities between Hindi and Maithili work. We started working on Maithili l10n long back and we worked on several open source projects. But Mozilla product we did only Firefox and long before Chatzilla. Lists of projects we worked for Maithili is here:

http://code.google.com/p/bhashaghar/wiki/Maithili

Regards,
Rajesh

Rajesh Ranjan

Sep 19, 2012, 12:06:40 PM9/19/12
to Axel Hecht, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks Axel.

Its good to hear that Mozilla is revamping the process. I will be glad to work for the betterment of Firefox l10n process, so please let me know about any issue where I can be helpful.

Regards,
Rajesh

________________________________
Sep 19, 2012, 3:34:07 PM9/19/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list, community-india, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Rajesh Ranjan
Hi,

Can you upload the slides to speakdeck or slideshare,
it's kinda interesting for mozillians who havn't have the chance to go
through the time,
I'd like to share the presentation to our local contributors.

Irvin
MozTW, Taiwan Community

Rajesh Ranjan

Sep 20, 2012, 1:06:41 AM9/20/12
to Irvin Chen, Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list, community-india, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Irvin,

Thanks for the interest!

Though slide is already present at :

http://bhashaghar.googlecode.com/files/Firefox_Localization_Case_Study_Maithili_Pune_Carnival.pdf

I have uploaded the same at sildeshare as well:

http://www.slideshare.net/rajeshkajha/firefox-localization-casestudymaithilipunecarnival

Hope this will help.

As per Axel, though the basic idea will be same, but l10n process is being revamped in great way.

regards,
Rajesh Ranjan
Kramashah