A new WebGL multiplayer FPS: Octoshot

James Long

Dec 3, 2012, 11:16:32 AM12/3/12
to communi...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey guys,

Thought you all might be interested in this. I built a game for github's
game off, and it's a 3d FPS. I ended up implementing a full multiplayer
server that does all the client prediction, entity interpolation, and
entity rewinding stuff for a real FPS. I use binaryjs to make the data
transfer as fast as possible.

It seems to work really well, even with TCP! I'm excited with what I can do
with this platform in the future. I know the game itself right now kind of
sucks. I wish I had more time to flesh out the gameplay, but I developed a
small 3d graphics engine along with the multiplayer server so I didn't have
much time to make the game *actually* that fun. There are a few bots at
least if you are by yourself!

I'd love feedback, and how I can make this into something that helps the
web gaming scene.

Play it here: http://octoshot.jlongster.com/

- James