community wireless in a suburb of Rome

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Jan 18, 2010, 10:21:49 AM1/18/10
to Drumbeat Community Email Newsgroup
First of all, sorry.
It's still me who proposes projects here but I find this is a marvellous opportunity for sharing projects.
To be brief before the call starts, here a small and rough draft of our idea.
Please let me know your feedback, no filters!

A project headline. The big idea in a nutshell.

bring people online, gracefully open.

A short description. The problem you're trying to solve, challenge you're trying to meet, or concrete goal you're seeking.

Roman peripheral is huge, and Municipio V (5th Local District) is huge as well. This suburb where nois3lab has its place, Colli Aniene [1], has more than 40000 inhabitants. It's a place where its inhabitants sleep without any attractive social activities.

Apart from, "bao;bar (open_source/cocktail.bar) [2]" - the previous entrepreneur activity of one of nois3lab's founders, and a public square with its contiguous café, the suburb doesn't offer any other social activity for people.

Since 2008, the Provincia di Roma (Local Area Authority) has started his wifi coverage project called ProvinciaWifi [3]. This is going to be FREE (as in freedom and in free beer) and PUBLIC for all its territory.

Potentially its users, the Roman local area inhabitants, are about 4 millions, not considering the tourists and whoever is entitled to subscribe this service, according to italian laws.

This project has had, and still has about 300 hotspots along the whole territory at the moment of its opening party and, according to Local Area's financial resources, they are going to rise up.

The basic ideas beneath this ProvinciaWifi and Zero Digital Divide [4] are simple: even in an “civilized” country as Italy should be, there are some areas where the digital divide is real and a lot of people cannot access the Internet.

Thus a public institution like Provincia di Roma comes in, and it's crucial to bring more people online.

The best part of this project is most of all about the freedom and neutrality of this network.

In fact the technological infrastructure is based on Open source and Free Software, and the Authority has committed itself clearly to maintain this network without any monopoly or dominant and proprietary positions.

The small solution we're suggesting here is to start in our suburb, Colli Aniene, an experiment completely covering it with this wireless signal, and in a immediately subsequent time to build on this network free tools and services for citizens.

The coverage phase will be on Municipio V, with hardware and work supplies, while the services phase would be on us. Here comes Drumbeat, indeed.

Starting with a crowdsourcing tool for time sharing for Colli Aniene's inhabitants (Timebank – Banca del Tempo [5]), through the possibility to browse and read all e-books from our newly opened public library, to a virtual marketplace for job opportunities where local job offering and job request can meet up.

All of this it's going to happen phisically in the suburb having some specific meeting points linked to some possible social activities, so that community chances may increase not only connecting people virtually, but also between human beings, in flesh, blood and their relationships.

Some tags. To help people find your idea.

Wireless human beings, social, timesharing, open, free

An image (maybe). Something that represents your idea and will help draw people to it.

cloud society

Carlo Frinolli

[ creative director ]

nois3lab snc
[ website | http://nois3lab.it ]
[ corporate tweets | http://twitter.com/nois3lab ]
[ personal tweets | http://twitter.com/carl0s_ ]
via di scorticabove 77, 00156 Roma
tel. +390695557042 (direct)
tel. +390695557019 (office)
mobile. +39 347 31 12 050
skype. carlo_nois3lab

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria

Jan 22, 2010, 7:13:03 AM1/22/10
to Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab, Drumbeat Community Email Newsgroup
Hey Carlo,
We have 2 similar projects here:
One is in Sofia and it is based on FON http://www.fon.com/en/info/whatsFon
Other one is in Ruse.

I don't know how is in Italy, but if you share your Internet connection for public, you may violate some of� Data retention directive' articles, because you (as a person) are responsible for anything that some people can do using your wifi router.

So, let's stop Data retention together :)

Bogo

On 01/18/2010 05:21 PM, Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab wrote:
First of all, sorry.
It's still me who proposes projects here but I find this is a marvellous opportunity for sharing projects.
To be brief before the call starts, here a small and rough draft of our idea.
Please let me know your feedback, no filters!

A project headline. The big idea in a nutshell.
bring people online, gracefully open.

A short description. The problem you're trying to solve, challenge you're trying to meet, or concrete goal you're seeking.
Roman peripheral is huge, and Municipio V (5th Local District) is huge as well. This suburb where nois3lab has its place, Colli Aniene [1], has more than 40000 inhabitants. It's a place where its inhabitants sleep without any attractive social activities.
Apart from, "bao;bar (open_source/cocktail.bar) [2]" - the previous entrepreneur activity of one of nois3lab's founders, and a public square with its contiguous caf�, the suburb doesn't offer any other social activity for people.
[...]

Links:
[1] http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colli_Aniene

Carlo Frinolli
[ creative director ]

[ website | http://nois3lab.it ]
[ corporate tweets | http://twitter.com/nois3lab ]
[ personal tweets | http://twitter.com/carl0s_ ]
via di scorticabove 77, 00156 Roma
tel. +390695557042 (direct)
tel. +390695557019 (office)
mobile. +39 347 31 12 050
skype. carlo_nois3lab

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov
Mozilla Bulgaria
http://bgzilla.org

http://mozgull.bogomil.info
+359 897 615128

Carlo Frinolli | nois3lab

Jan 22, 2010, 7:18:28 AM1/22/10
to b...@bgzilla.org, The community mailing list for Mozilla Drumbeat

Il giorno 22/gen/2010, alle ore 13.13, Bogomil Bogo Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria ha scritto:

I don't know how is in Italy, but if you share your Internet connection for public, you may violate some of  Data retention directive' articles, because you (as a person) are responsible for anything that some people can do using your wifi router.

So, let's stop Data retention together :)

Here's the thing. There's a public authority who owns the infrastructure declaring this as PUBLIC and FREE (as in free beer, and in freedom). In fact they want to keep it open and not limited (except from a traffic quota per day which now is 300MB per user).
They ask you subscription with your mobile number as in italy to have one you need to have shown an id card to the Carrier.
That's all.
It's a young project yet, and we want to promote this with our (and probably your help), so they didn't figure out yet how to get subscriptions without italian mobiles or mobile number where you don't need to show id card to get it.
But getting into this project will help everyone of us to get it more free and more effective for users.
:))

Carlo Frinolli

[ creative director ]

nois3lab snc

Toni Hermoso Pulido

Jan 22, 2010, 2:23:58 PM1/22/10
to community...@lists.mozilla.org
Al 22/01/10 13:13, En/na Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov - Mozilla Bulgaria ha escrit:

> Hey Carlo,
> We have 2 similar projects here:
> One is in Sofia and it is based on FON http://www.fon.com/en/info/whatsFon
> Other one is in Ruse.
>
> I don't know how is in Italy, but if you share your Internet connection
> for public, you may violate some of Data retention directive' articles,
> because you (as a person) are responsible for anything that some people
> can do using your wifi router.
>
> So, let's stop Data retention together :)

As a reference, you can be interested in knowing this successful Catalan
origin experience:

== guifi.net==
guifi.net is a telecommunications network, is open, free and neutral
because is built through a peer to peer agreement where everyone can
join the network by providing his connection, and therefore, extending
the network and gaining connectivity to all.

http://guifi.net/en

I actually think they could be nice partners to organize Drumbeat
related events in my country.

Cheers,
--
Toni Hermoso Pulido