Firefox (40+) Shutdown Time

B00ze

Feb 22, 2016, 8:52:41 AM2/22/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Good day.

I'm not sure this is the right newsgroup for this but here goes...

I recently upgraded from FF38 to FF40. I immediately noticed that FF40
takes AGES to shutdown, so much so that twice now I've rebooted while FF
was still shutting down causing FF to tell me it had problems restoring
tabs the next time I loaded it. I timed it just now: Took 30 seconds for
the Firefox process to go away once the window was closed. I believe
this is caused by the large number of Tabs I have opened (~200) but FF38
never took this long.

In testing, I created a new profile, and manually added ALL my 42 addOns
(and copied my bookmarks) -> Still shuts down quickly. Next I copied my
User.js settings -> Still shuts down quickly. Next I copied my
SessionStore (200 tabs) -> Now takes 30 seconds to shutdown. So I
started disabling/enabling addOns, and I've discovered that 23 of those
30 seconds during shutdown are caused by the following 3 addOns:
Ghostery, Noscript, Self Destructing Cookies. Not exactly obscure
addOns. Something has changed in the way Firefox does cleanup when
shutting down.

Anyone know what has changed in FF causing it to take forever to
shutdown with some addOns and many tabs?

PS: I tried FF44 and same problem...

Thank you.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain / B00...@hotmail.com
! (o o) Member-+-David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/Planetary-Society-+-

Jorge Villalobos

Feb 22, 2016, 12:05:47 PM2/22/16
On 2/21/16 11:38 AM, B00ze wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I'm not sure this is the right newsgroup for this but here goes...
>
> I recently upgraded from FF38 to FF40. I immediately noticed that FF40
> takes AGES to shutdown, so much so that twice now I've rebooted while FF
> was still shutting down causing FF to tell me it had problems restoring
> tabs the next time I loaded it. I timed it just now: Took 30 seconds for
> the Firefox process to go away once the window was closed. I believe
> this is caused by the large number of Tabs I have opened (~200) but FF38
> never took this long.
>
> In testing, I created a new profile, and manually added ALL my 42 addOns
> (and copied my bookmarks) -> Still shuts down quickly. Next I copied my
> User.js settings -> Still shuts down quickly. Next I copied my
> SessionStore (200 tabs) -> Now takes 30 seconds to shutdown. So I
> started disabling/enabling addOns, and I've discovered that 23 of those
> 30 seconds during shutdown are caused by the following 3 addOns:
> Ghostery, Noscript, Self Destructing Cookies. Not exactly obscure
> addOns. Something has changed in the way Firefox does cleanup when
> shutting down.
>
> Anyone know what has changed in FF causing it to take forever to
> shutdown with some addOns and many tabs?
>
> PS: I tried FF44 and same problem...
>
> Thank you.
> Best Regards,

Hello,

It's best that you submit a bug report to Bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/. Since you have so many add-ons installed
and they appear to be causing the slowdowns, it will be difficult to try
to pinpoint the problem. At least you have figured out some of the
factors around this issue, so that might help finding what changed
during that period of time.

Regards,

Jorge