Apps Screencasts

Anant Narayanan

Mar 20, 2012, 11:20:26 AM3/20/12
to servic...@mozilla.org, Bill Walker, Mark Mayo, Ian Bicking
At the last AITC meeting I was assigned the action item of creating
screencasts to show the apps system at work. Bill had already made a
screencast of the desktop experience (both in Firefox & other browsers)
which will be useful to some of you:

1/ https://people.mozilla.com/~bwalker/userflow-2011-11-18.mov

Shows purchase of a paid application from the marketplace, and the
native app creation. There are two BrowserID logins shown (one for the
marketplace and one for appsync) but we hope to streamline it into 1 for
this next implementation. Bill then launches Chrome, logs in with the
same BrowserID he used to login to sync and the app just installed
appears on the Dashboard.

The experience on the phone is very similar. You launch the Mozilla
Marketplace app (codename: Soup), login with your BrowserID and then
choose to put apps on the home screen (on desktop, all apps are
automatically added to your web dashboard).

2/ https://people.mozilla.com/~bwalker/favbooze-1457hrs.mov

In this screencast, Bill shows the installation of a paid app (which was
paid for earlier, so no paypal screen this time) and demonstrates
receipt verification. A receipt is generated and stored by the add-on,
which is later retrieved when the app is launched natively and verified
by the (modified) MyFavoriteBooze website.

Verification of the receipt did not require the user to login again in
the app because Firefox was also running and the user was logged in
there (we ask Firefox for an assertion, but if it is not running, we
prompt the user to login).

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Anant

JR Conlin

Mar 20, 2012, 11:55:13 AM3/20/12
to Anant Narayanan, Bill Walker, servic...@mozilla.org
On 3/20/2012 8:20 AM, Anant Narayanan wrote:
> Shows purchase of a paid application from the marketplace, and the
> native app creation. There are two BrowserID logins shown (one for the
> marketplace and one for appsync) but we hope to streamline it into 1
> for this next implementation.

Thanks!

I'd love to stay in the loop regarding centralized logins. (Particularly
when it comes to BrowserID extensions.)

One of the issues I'm hitting is how to provide users an option for an
anonymous email without forcing them to log into another site (e.g.
bipostal).