Re: Sync for Dolphin HD and the Firefox Sync 2.0 protocol

Marcus Wolschon

Mar 10, 2012, 1:51:57 AM3/10/12
to Allison Naaktgeboren, servic...@mozilla.com

I did not get ANY answer, so I'm repeatung my questions below.

------------

Am 07.03.2012 01:24, schrieb Allison Naaktgeboren:
> Hi Marcus,
> We don't know if you've been following the Mozilla Services' mailing list, servic...@mozilla.com, but we will be reving the Sync protocol in the near future. This is a significant revision and earlier clients will not be able to talk to servers running the new protocol. Please consider updating your addon for the new protocol.
>
> The best source for the 2.0 changes is: https://github.com/mozilla-services/docs/blob/master/source/storage/apis-2.0.rst
>

> Best,
> Ally

"This document is currently in draft status and should not be treated as
authoritative."
When will the protocoll-definition be finished?
What is the migration-path for the users? (The last few times you
broke all your own clients since one desktop would upgrade the
storage on the server before all other desktops of the user had
a chance to be updated too and serveral month before a mobile client
supporting the new protocoll was even avaliable.)
When is the new protocoll planned to be supported by the servers
and when is the rollout to the users planned?

Marcus

Toby Elliott

Mar 10, 2012, 2:13:49 AM3/10/12
to Marcus Wolschon, servic...@mozilla.com, Allison Naaktgeboren

On Mar 9, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Marcus Wolschon wrote:

> I did not get ANY answer, so I'm repeatung my questions below.

Sorry, I mussed have missed your email.

> "This document is currently in draft status and should not be treated as
> authoritative."
> When will the protocoll-definition be finished?

It's complete, barring small tweaks if we find a problem or an easy enhancement. Building against the current spec should be safe, and Ryan can update the language to reflect that.

> What is the migration-path for the users? (The last few times you
> broke all your own clients since one desktop would upgrade the
> storage on the server before all other desktops of the user had
> a chance to be updated too and serveral month before a mobile client

> supporting the new protocoll was even available.)

Because it is a 2.0 protocol, there won't be any migration. We'll continue to support the 1.1 protocol after launch until we are comfortable that most people are on the new servers. This means that for a time users may have two separate data sets - one on the old protocol and one on the new, and they won't interoperate.

> When is the new protocoll planned to be supported by the servers
> and when is the rollout to the users planned?

I'll defer this one to Ally, as she's more aware of what the timetable for the Firefox client is; the servers are likely to be ready before them. I'd be very surprised if it happened before July.

Regards,
Toby Elliott

Richard Newman

Mar 10, 2012, 2:43:16 AM3/10/12
to Marcus Wolschon, services-dev, Allison Marie Naaktgeboren
>> I did not get ANY answer, so I'm repeatung my questions below.
>
> Sorry, I mussed have missed your email.

I didn't see it either, in my inbox or in the list moderator queue.

>> When is the new protocoll planned to be supported by the servers
>> and when is the rollout to the users planned?
>
> I'll defer this one to Ally, as she's more aware of what the timetable for the Firefox client is; the servers are likely to be ready before them. I'd be very surprised if it happened before July.

Rollout to users on the release channel cannot occur before Firefox 14, which is planned for release July 17th, because the cutoff date for Firefox 13 is Monday, and the client code won't be ready by then.

The next cutoff date is April 20th (or thereabouts).

If the client implementation is not done, tested, and merged by then (which is unclear; it's still in the development and review phase, and Android work hasn't even begun), then release will be August 28th in Firefox 15. We will need a simultaneous release on all of our major platforms to avoid excess frustration, so we are blocked on servers and two clients all being ready before we can roll out.

Beta release will be six weeks earlier (June 5th at the earliest, July 17th at the latest).

Ideally we'll have preliminary server infrastructure available by the time the code drop lands in mozilla-central in April. If not, we will delay the merge from services-central to avoid breaking Nightly users.

Marcus Wolschon

Mar 10, 2012, 3:40:46 AM3/10/12
to Richard Newman, services-dev, Allison Marie Naaktgeboren

Thanks.
Than I may start developing between the end of April and March (Without
a server to develop against, it has little use to write any code at all
as I couldn't test it).
Provided that is, that my next job and higher priority projects
allows time for this at all.
I guess I'll have to ask the user what version to use if I detect
both datasets to be present. Don't know if the users will even know
what to answer.

Marcus

Philipp von Weitershausen

Mar 10, 2012, 4:07:05 AM3/10/12
to Toby Elliott, servic...@mozilla.com, Marcus Wolschon, Allison Naaktgeboren
> > What is the migration-path for the users? (The last few times you
> > broke all your own clients since one desktop would upgrade the
> > storage on the server before all other desktops of the user had
> > a chance to be updated too and serveral month before a mobile
> > client
> > supporting the new protocoll was even available.)
>
> Because it is a 2.0 protocol, there won't be any migration. We'll
> continue to support the 1.1 protocol after launch until we are
> comfortable that most people are on the new servers. This means that
> for a time users may have two separate data sets - one on the old
> protocol and one on the new, and they won't interoperate.

Wait, what? 1.1 and 2.0 are not going to sync against the same data? This is going to ask for a migration usability disaster. Remember when we did the storage version upgrade in a Firefox 4 *beta* and people went crazy over that? We have many times more users now.