Sync crypto overview

Gregory Szorc

Mar 15, 2012, 9:44:50 PM3/15/12
to servic...@mozilla.org
I put together a document which I think comprehensively describes Sync's
crypto model:

https://github.com/mozilla-services/docs/blob/master/source/sync/cryptography.rst

I held off linking this into the main doc tree until it gets some review
love. Once someone gives me the clear, I'll do that and will try to
clean up all existing documents to point to the new source of truth.

The intended audience is people with a basic computer science-y
background. And, I'd like it to have enough detail to facilitate client
implementation without access to any of us (although some updates to the
storage format v5 documentation would still be required - but that is
separate).

The document could specifically use help with the crypto terminology.
Unlike others on this project, I don't have a Ph.D in cryptography, so
please excuse my ignorance :) I'd also appreciate verification that the
examples given are correct (perhaps performed with the Java stack?).

If you have lots of feedback, it's probably easiest to just do the GitHub.

Greg