Re: proposal: codify a common set of error codes + request/response headers for all services

John Reid Conlin

Mar 24, 2012, 4:06:02 PM3/24/12
to g...@mozilla.com, mco...@mozilla.com, servic...@mozilla.org
This was handled previously by including a URL for error code explanations.

It had very low traffic and we still had to explain things to new devs.

tl;dr: people don't read replies.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

On 2012-03-15, at 2:03 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Mike Connor wrote:
>> I like the idea in theory, but what is our goal here? The Cornice error format is text-driven, and human readable.
> On 3/15/12 1:33 PM, Ryan Kelly wrote:
>> One could argue that there's not much a machine could do with these errors, since they indicate serious implementation problems. So more human-friendly output might be better.
> My personal best practice for error reporting is to *always* include 2 values: 1 that is easily machine readable and 1 that is meant for humans. The two don't necessarily have to be isomorphic, but there is definitely a correlation between them.

Have we suffered in any significant way for the lack of human-readable error strings? Do we think it's worth the overhead of doing text formatting and larger responses for the handful of developers who will ever look at the raw response? Is this perhaps a case we should handle via a debug flag?

-- Mike