Python Talks at the all-hands ?

Tarek Ziadé

Mar 17, 2011, 12:04:30 PM3/17/11
to MoPy
Hey,

Are you (moco) guys interested in a Python gathering again at the
all-hands ? I was thinking about having more formal talks.

What about having all Pycon presenters present their talks again ?

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org

Dave Dash

Mar 17, 2011, 12:20:27 PM3/17/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Gathering - yes.

Most talks are online, so maybe some discussion on things that Phillikon mentioned like co-routines and whatnot.

WHat did moz-folks present?

-d
--
Dave Dash
650.648.3274

Tarek Ziadé

Mar 17, 2011, 12:40:32 PM3/17/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, Dave Dash
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Dave Dash <d...@davedash.com> wrote:
> Gathering - yes.
> Most talks are online,
> so maybe some discussion on things that Phillikon
> mentioned like co-routines and whatnot.

Sure, another option is to make it a BoF session around

I've started a page here where you can add the topics you're interested in

https://wiki.mozilla.org/MoPy/AllSnakes

> WHat did moz-folks present?

See https://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/mozilla-at-pycon/

Kumar McMillan

Mar 17, 2011, 12:41:44 PM3/17/11
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Are you (moco) guys interested in a Python gathering again at the
> all-hands ? I was thinking about having more formal talks.

I think we should definitely have another get together. I am a strong
advocate of lightning talks since they are short and easy to do.

> What about having all Pycon presenters present their talks again ?

As Dave mentioned, the videos are online and the quality is good.
Plus, I already gave a smaller version of my tox presentation at the
last all-hands :)

Tarek Ziadé

Mar 17, 2011, 12:43:23 PM3/17/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, Kumar McMillan

Ok, I've added one about pypi2rpm -- please add some :D

Jeff Hammel

Mar 17, 2011, 3:50:09 PM3/17/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
I'd also like to know more about packaging, specifically what does it
mean to me that setup.py is going away?

And I'd like to start brain-storming about how we, as an organization,
use python, particularly in m-c and core-ish code (i.e. if you're
writing something new, you can do whatever you want, but how do we
improve not-new stuff?). The goal being a cleaner, meaner, clearer
usage of python as part of build tools and a more informed mozilla
populous about *good* python patterns (I won't mention the specific
bad ones we use).

Tarek Ziadé

Mar 17, 2011, 4:53:10 PM3/17/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Hammel
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Jeff Hammel <k0s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd also like to know more about packaging, specifically what does it
> mean to me that setup.py is going away?

I could do a lightning on this.

> And I'd like to start brain-storming about how we, as an organization,
> use python, particularly in m-c and core-ish code (i.e. if you're
> writing something new, you can do whatever you want, but how do we
> improve not-new stuff?).  The goal being a cleaner, meaner, clearer
> usage of python as part of build tools and a more informed mozilla
> populous about *good* python patterns (I won't mention the specific
> bad ones we use).

sounds good, you should fill the topics section with this in the wiki