python setup.py develop

Jeff Hammel

Aug 21, 2011, 7:17:13 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone written any tools to achieve the outcome of setuptools
`python setup.py develop` for e.g. distutils or other cases? In
general, are there any opinions on how to do this?

Tarek Ziadé

Aug 21, 2011, 7:22:42 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com

There's a gsoc going on for adding this in the stdlib the bug is
http://bugs.python.org/issue8668

not sure what's the state of the GSOC yet

Cheers

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org

Jeff Hammel

Aug 21, 2011, 7:24:51 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Well, yes, but realistically our test harnesses (e.g.) still have to
support python 2.4 (2.5 coming soon!). Python 3 is still pretty far
away.

Kumar McMillan

Aug 21, 2011, 7:25:13 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com

pip install -e /path/to/dir will do the same thing IIRC. You'd want to do that within a virtualenv.

Jeff Hammel

Aug 21, 2011, 7:27:36 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
I thought this only worked with setuptools (vs distuils or unpackaged)
resources and just used `python setup.py develop` internally. (And
yes, I'd rather do anything within a virtualenv).

Tarek Ziadé

Aug 21, 2011, 7:29:41 PM8/21/11
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Jeff Hammel <k0s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, yes, but realistically our test harnesses (e.g.) still have to
> support python 2.4 (2.5 coming soon!).  Python 3 is still pretty far
> away.

yes but the feature is isolated, meaning that it could be backported
as a standalone distutils command for 2.3 onward

Jeff Hammel

Aug 21, 2011, 7:33:29 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Ah, awesome! That would be sweet

Kumar McMillan

Aug 21, 2011, 7:38:02 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com

pip temporarily monkey patches vanilla setup.py scripts to use setuptools. Don't read the source or your eyes will bleed.

Tarek Ziadé

Aug 21, 2011, 7:46:58 PM8/21/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Kumar McMillan
<kumar.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> pip temporarily monkey patches vanilla setup.py scripts to use setuptools.

ouch :-)

I suspect this'll get into trouble when distutils2 and py3.3 are out

> Don't read the source or your eyes will bleed.

Muahahahaha: http://www.actualhumanbeings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/clockwork-orange-eyelids-300x225.jpg

Cheers
Tarek