New Ubuntu Unity Integration!

Mike Conley

Mar 3, 2011, 9:54:52 AM3/3/11
to mozilla-labs
Using the Ubuntu Unity shell? Love Thunderbird? Come check out our
new Ubuntu Unity Messaging Menu integration project!

Come check it out at http://mozillalabs.com/messaging/2011/03/03/new-ubuntu-integration/

Please leave your feedback here! Thanks!

Mike Conley

Mar 3, 2011, 11:13:41 AM3/3/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Just a note that, as it stands, this add-on currently only works within the Ubuntu Unity shell, and is compiled for an i386 architecture.

Mike Conley

Apr 12, 2011, 3:50:51 PM4/12/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the Ubuntu Unity Messaging Menu integration extension to support both 32 and 64 bit systems.  However, like the Unity Launcher extension, this update now requires the use of Thunderbird 3.3 or higher.

Interested in checking out this extension?  Give it a try!

Here's the original announcement.

Please leave your feedback here.  Thanks!

Rich Renomeron

Apr 12, 2011, 8:57:09 PM4/12/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Mike Conley
On 04/12/2011 03:50 PM, Mike Conley wrote:
I've updated the Ubuntu Unity Messaging Menu integration extension to support both 32 and 64 bit systems.  However, like the Unity Launcher extension, this update now requires the use of Thunderbird 3.3 or higher.
[snip]

Please leave your feedback here.  Thanks!

I'm very glad to have the messaging menu integration back.  That was something I really missed when I moved to 3.3 full-time.

Two quick comments:
  1. Installing the Messaging Menu extension seems to disable the message count on the Unity Launcher Extension.  Is this on purpose?
  2. I don't seem to get the notifications ("black bubbles") when new mail comes in.  Is there something I need to be (un)setting in the Thunderbird prefs?
Thanks,
Rich

--
 From the Desktop of Rich Renomeron
  Minds are like parachutes, they only work when open.

Mike Conley

Apr 13, 2011, 9:35:23 AM4/13/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Mike Conley
Rich:

Hey, thanks for trying out my extension!

> Installing the Messaging Menu extension seems to disable the message count on the Unity Launcher Extension.  Is this on purpose?

Hm.  No, that wasn't on purpose.  You say it disables the message count on the Unity Launcher Extension - you mean that the entire extension is disabled in the add-on manager, or just that the new message count is not appearing?

In either case, does disabling the Messaging Menu extension solve the issue?  Also, what version of the Unity Launcher extension do you have?

> I don't seem to get the notifications ("black bubbles") when new mail comes in.  Is there something I need to be (un)setting in the Thunderbird prefs?

Currently, new mail notifications appear in the lower right hand corner using a XUL widget.  I'm working on getting better integration with libnotify (the black bubbles), and you'll hopefully see that in the 3.3 release.

Thanks,

-Mike

Rich Renomeron

Apr 14, 2011, 9:59:51 PM4/14/11
On 04/13/2011 09:35 AM, Mike Conley wrote:
> Installing the Messaging Menu extension seems to disable the message count on the Unity Launcher Extension.  Is this on purpose?

Hm.  No, that wasn't on purpose.  You say it disables the message count on the Unity Launcher Extension - you mean that the entire extension is disabled in the add-on manager, or just that the new message count is not appearing?

Just the new message count; the menu items for Compose & contacts still work.  Sorry if that was unclear.

In either case, does disabling the Messaging Menu extension solve the issue?  Also, what version of the Unity Launcher extension do you have?

Disabling the Messaging Menu did not solve the problem; neither did uninstalling it; although I swear the message count worked before I installed the Messaging Menu extension.  Will have to muck around with alternate profiles when/if I get some time, I guess.  Using version 0.3 of the Launcher extension.

Thanks,
Rich
--
  From the Desktop of Rich Renomeron
  Digital is to analog as steps are to ramps.

Mike Conley

Apr 15, 2011, 10:50:48 AM4/15/11
to Rich Renomeron, mozill...@googlegroups.com
Rich:

Ok, a few other diagnostics - first off, is there a library called
"libunity.so.3" in /usr/lib? If you open up the error console (Tools
> Error Console), is there an error there belonging to either
unitylauncher/overlay.js, or unitylauncher/UnityLauncherLib.jsm that
complains about being unable to load a library?

I ask, because it sounds like the extension is having a hard time
finding the library that it needs to interact with the launcher.

Thanks,

-Mike

--
http://www.mikeconley.ca

Rich Renomeron

Apr 15, 2011, 5:10:29 PM4/15/11
to Mike Conley, mozill...@googlegroups.com
On 04/15/2011 10:50 AM, Mike Conley wrote:
Rich:

Ok, a few other diagnostics - first off, is there a library called
"libunity.so.3" in /usr/lib?

I don't.  But I do have a libunity.so.4.  But to be fair, the unity packages were just updated in the latest round of updates before I got a chance to look, so I don't know how long I've had it.  I also don't see anything in the error console related to libunity.

Hope this helps.

Rich
--
 From the Desktop of Rich Renomeron
  A friend is someone who likes you even after they know you.

Mike Conley

Apr 18, 2011, 9:27:10 AM4/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Mike Conley
I don't.  But I do have a libunity.so.4.
Hrm.  Strange.

Try using apt-get to install libunity3, like:  "sudo apt-get install libunity3".  That should, hopefully, resolve the problem.  I'm pretty sure libunity3 is what will ship with Natty, so I'm not exactly sure why you have libunity4.  Regardless, I think this will fix it.

Let me know,

-Mike

Rich Renomeron

Apr 18, 2011, 9:21:54 PM4/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
No such luck:

$ sudo apt-get install libunity3
[sudo] password for renomero:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libunity3 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  libunity4
E: Package 'libunity3' has no installation candidate

It looks like they renamed the package (and probably the library).    In fact, 'dpkg --status libunity4' shows that it "replaces" libunity3.

Aren't prerelease distributions fun? :)

Thanks,
Rich
--
 From the Desktop of Rich Renomeron
  It's as easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950...

Mike Conley

Apr 19, 2011, 5:02:35 PM4/19/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Alright, well, sounds like I'm going to have to update my extension to work with libunity4.  :)

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll have an update pushed out sometime tomorrow.

-Mike
Message has been deleted

Daniel Vanzo

Jun 28, 2011, 2:49:58 PM6/28/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I know its an Ubuntu Unity Integration, but are there any chance to have it backported to 10.10?

Regards,

Daniel

Mike Conley

Jun 29, 2011, 9:37:30 AM6/29/11
to mozilla-labs
Daniel:

Hey - sorry, there are no plans for backporting to 10.10.

All the best,

-Mike

Daniel Vanzo

Jun 30, 2011, 9:59:59 AM6/30/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Anyway, good job!!!!

All the best too!!!

Daniel

pavlo.s...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2012, 12:08:04 PM12/26/12
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mike.
Thank you for you add-on.

I was just a little confused or missed something. Is there any way to run Thunderbird in background with full support of Messaging Menu integration?  Because, right now Thunderbird icon is always somewhere around: in unity app dock, quick-start etc. I would probably want to have Thunderbird being running completely in background with new massage notification from Messaging Menu.

Sincerely,
Pavel.